Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:33:29 AM

Author Topic: Configuring Start Button as Push Button  (Read 14250 times)

Re: Configuring Start Button as Push Button
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 05:44:19 AM »
Very well, so now that I know that Mach version should not be an issue, that eliminates 1presumption. Now ... regarding the breakout board that I have is simply a printer cable with pins soldered on one end and are then connected directly to the switches, hence I don't think that it qualifies as a breakout board. Therefore I have to presume that I need to set Printer Port 2 to EPP, which I have no idea how to do this or what it means. Just in case my preceding idea of re-allocating different pin outs for the encoder does not work, can you please elaborate a bit on the EPP term and how to do this?
Thanks
Marting

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 05:56:10 AM »
EPP is Enhanced Parallel Port I think, it means it is not just a standard port (SPP) and thus it should be capable of being set up to use the normal outputs (Pins2 -9) as Inputs. If you look in device manager it should tell you what mode the PCI port is in, if it is just SPP then you may have options to change it, possibly via a jumper on the card however that is not very common. There is also another mode which is ECP, think that should work as well but it has been a long time since I used the parallel port so I cant really remember.
Hood
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »
Hi Hood, First of all I would like to thank you so much for the support and patience that you have had with me. I have made the changes as I mensioned by changing pin configuration and in worked out fine. Further more it seems that there is an issue with the PCI port setting as you have pointed out, but for the time being is not of major issue since I am up and running.
Thanks once again

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 03:59:35 PM »
Good to hear you are sorted :)
Hood