Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 11:12:38 PM

Author Topic: How do I create an additional axis brain...?  (Read 5632 times)

How do I create an additional axis brain...?
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Mach (well ok apart from loading GCode I'm completely in the dark ;D) and I've very few posts in this forum too.....but I've got a question and I hope I'm in the correct forum link to ask too so if I'm not I apologize and please redirect me.....but how do I create a brain to control an additional axis like say for example in my case I want to control an ATC without using up the existing axis X,Y,Z,A,B,C.....can it be done and if so how..?

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to exploit my 3D surfacing software (Rhino) to it’s fullest capabilities and so I intend to add (hopefully fully functioning 5 axis to my build) and therefore I need to add additional axis D,E etc…..to operate ATC…..

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: How do I create an additional axis brain...?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »
NO not possible in the way you describe it . As to axis control you have xyz abc. NOW IF your atc does not require steppers or servo drives then maybe. Best to do the ATC with a PLC.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply, and yeah the PLC had crossed my mind but the thing is electronics and the control of them isn't my area of expertise but I can follow wiring instructions with a little bit of explanation as I want to learn and understand fully what I'm doing...and I already have my CNC electronics all wired and working.....(so I must be doing something correct)

but how would I control the PLC within Mach..?.... is it like say the same as wiring my VFD to the C32 breakout board so as to control it within Mach and in my case I needed an additional 12VDC PSU wired to the bob to send out 10VDC analogue to the VFD terminal connections......

How would I wire the PLC..?...at present I have no solenoid valves wired and controlled in my set up, simply to be honest I don’t understand how to wire them yet….. as up to now I hadn’t needed them, so I would sure appreciate all the advice and help you can give, and if you could direct me to wiring schematics and web links or videos….

Thanks in advance

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »
The PLS will talk to MACH3 via serial,usb,modbus, etc.

The PLS is a logic controller that can be programmed to do things, it also TALKS to MACh3 through the COM channel. MACH3 tells the PLC to do something , thePLC does it then reports back to MACH3 that it is does.

In a nut shell, (;-)TP
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
again thanks BR549 for the reply...