Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 02:11:15 PM

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 14548 times)

Windows 7
« on: June 27, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »
Has anyone tried running Mach 3 under Windows 7?

I am looking at having to buy a new copy of XP, if it works under 7 I will go that
route.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:59:11 PM »
Yes, Art has been running it in Windows 7 beta. Since it's beta, though, there are no guarantees it'll work in the final release. Although it most likely will imo. :)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline peu

•  23 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »
I just installed Mach3 using W7, followed the vista instructions, when I ran drivertest.exe as admin and let it run it crashed with a BSOD, but when the computer restarted ran it again and everything worked fine, configured Mach3 and the router worked just fine.

I tought it would be harder, but it was business as usual.

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:17:46 AM »
on my vista machines i get really bad driver tests, irrespective of the setup instructions, but bad parrallel hardware is possible too as they are both laptops.

i hate vista with a passion and im also looking forward from XP directly to Win7

hope all works well

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 09:54:40 AM »
I use Mach on Vista all the time, not one single problem. In fact I have yet to have any problems that were Vista's fault.

Laptops never work very well for Mach no matter what the OS is that is why it says right on the download page that laptops ARE NOT supported. I've gotten them to work before but it always involves lots of tweaks, special driver programs to keep the processor from slowing down etc. In the end it is not really worth all the time spent trying to get it to work. If you want to use a laptop then get a SmoothStepper: http://soigeneris.com/Warp9.aspx, if you want to stick with the parallel port then your best bet is to get a desktop PC. In the shop I use an old 1.5 gHz AMD box that I spent a whole $50 on. It runs Mach just fine.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline peu

•  23 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »
In windows 7, one thing that needs to be addressed if you want to avoid running mach3 in administrator mode is the destination folder/filename for the wizards, I cannot edit them after being generated.

Offline ajk

•  1 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:05:07 PM »
I was wondering what version of windows 7 is the minimum to acquire for use with mach3.  I've been running under XP home, never went to Vista.  7 looks to be a useful tool.

Any recommendations?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:58:41 AM »
I have run Mach3 under Vista, W7 Beta, and XP Pro, on a laptop (using SmoothStepper), and on desktops. All worked fine (although as noted, a laptop can be a bit sensitive at times).

I typically always used the smoothstepper, but my best performance with the least amount of hassles (smoothstepper dropping off line, strange halts, etc) came when I got a used Dell GX280, installed a fresh load of XP Pro, and use the parallel port. I haven't had a burp from the system since (going on 6 months). I use the system for some design work (Sketch-up Pro, CamBam, TurboCad Deluxe 16, etc) when I'm in the shop, but typically do most of my work on my main system in the house. I access the files from the shop system over my local network.

My point is, if you have a separate system in the shop, XP is fine and recommended. Why fight a new operating system release, when the existing one is working fine. Let it (W7) stabilize and get the bugs worked out. After all, the shop system should be to run MACH, and not debug W7! Also, kill any processes that you don't need to be running. I usually shut down windows live messenger, skype, mail, etc when I'm doing any cutting, just to make sure Mach has all the system resources it needs.

I usually wait for the first Service Pack to be released before I even think about putting a new release of the operating system on line. Why replace
something that's working?   Just my .02 worth...

John
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »
Well the computer/mach gods must be shinning on you.  A have installed mach3 under windows 7 64bit (desktop) and I have
 instlled the memoryoverride.reg and I STILL GET "no drivertest sensed installed" error.

I would appreciate anyone who has fixed this problem, or could offer any help, to post.  I believe this is the reason I cannot get my steppers to turn. the parallel port pins will not go Hi or Lo (stays at 3.4 v, as test with multimeter) under mach3 is because Mach3 is not controlling the lpt1 port, which may be because of drivertest.exe issues on win7

thanks
john2