Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:41:15 AM

Author Topic: Locating a pocket on Z axis  (Read 3258 times)

Locating a pocket on Z axis
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »

I've been tearing my hair out about this. The tool is zeroed against the clamping fixture. I want it to go to X56 Y0 and then down to the work surface at Z-6, and then cut a circular pocket using the NFS wizard. The bit I don't get is how to get the correct pocket depth starting  at Z-6 (or any Z other than 0). I will want to cut a series of pockets and slots at two different Z heights along the X axis, and I was hoping to string them together as allowed by the NFS wizards.
This I guess is something to do with offsets?  I have watched the videos and searched the forums, but I just don't get it.

All help gratefully received!
Thanks
Richard

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a pocket on Z axis
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
I don't believe that feature was ever planned for in the NFW.  If you are doing conversational coding like the NFW it SHOULD be there. Other wise you would need to go back and EDIT the Gcode to provide the proper offsetting  (;-( Bummer.

May want to ask about that in the NFW forum on this site.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
I don't believe that feature was ever planned for in the NFW.  If you are doing conversational coding like the NFW it SHOULD be there. Other wise you would need to go back and EDIT the Gcode to provide the proper offsetting  (;-( Bummer.

May want to ask about that in the NFW forum on this site.

(;-) TP

Thanks, but I don't expect to do that from within the wizard. The problem is, I don't understand how to do the offsetting at the start of the pocket and turn it off at the end. Just can't make sense of it.
Cheers
Richard

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:53:19 PM »
The WIzards SHOULD do that for you(;-)

You can do it several ways.

Change Fixtures between pockets etc, g55 g56 g57. Rememebr to set up the fixture offsets FIRST.

You can do a G52/92 offset

CODE
CODE
CODE

G55   This changes the fixture offsets to the preset values   (Z1.000)
G0 Z0  This moves to the  NEW Z 0.000 position

CODE
CODE

G0 Z1    This moves to the new offset position where you want the new Z0 to be
G92 Z0.000    This sets the values of the position back to 0.000

CODE
CODE
etc
etc

Hope that helps if not we will give it a another go.

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »

Thanks a lot! I'll hve a go later, will report back.
Cheers
Richard
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
I thought I would give an update rather than just leave things hanging.
I am using Sheetcam and I have discovered that I can get the offsets I need by specifying the start depth of the pocketing operations. So instead of chaining the wizards and using Mach offsets, I'm drawing a simple dxf and importing it into Sheetcam.
It's working well... until the next problem!
Cheers
Richard