Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:32:58 PM

Author Topic: Encoder readout  (Read 3683 times)

Encoder readout
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »
Using servo motors - Pittman
Homes OK
When jogging to a limit the machine dosent stop and will crash.
After the motor is disengaged the Mach s/w will show movement on the readout when jogging button is used, even tho there is no actual movement on the axis.
So, after a crash the readout of the axis still counts off until i use e-stop.
Also, I will need the axis to show manual movement on the Mach screen while turning the axis wheel by hand. How is this done?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Encoder readout
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »
If your limits are not stopping the axis then you do not have them set correctly, if you mean that you can jog to the limits and they will trigger and stop the axis then you could set up soft limits to stop you hitting them.

You will need to let Mach know the axis is faulted/disabled so that it will E-Stop or go into reset and wont allow/show movement. How you will do that depends on what signals are available from your drives.

You can put encoder inputs into Mach but they are just for your own personal monitoring and Mach will not act on them. Much better to use Mach to move the axis, whether that be via MDI line or MPG.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
hi there. I have mach 3 running a bridgeport. Mostly it works fine and I'm happy with it but I do have a problem with the peck drilling cycle. I'm am using G73 and the format Im using is G73 X Y Z R Q F.  I have set the G73 pullout DRO in milling options (via ports and pins) to0.004". When I come to drill it retract to 0.150 above and feeds backn down instead of 0.004" Am I missing something. I'd appreciate anyones thoughts.

Jason
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:36:38 AM »
Hood,
Is there any way to have Mach 3 read a rotary encoder and act on it?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »
With Rogers Interface board it can be done but only to fault and reset DROs and not update as motion is progressing.
The PoKeys hopefully will also soon do it.
The Rogers interface is a parallel poirt device so will likely be limited in frequency.
I did tests with an Alpha PoKeys plugin and an Ethernet PoKeys and it never missed a pulse even at 4000rpm with 8000pulses per rev, so 533KHz.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »
Again,
very interesting.
I look forward to playing with this.

Thanks again......