Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:58:09 AM

Author Topic: Harley Davidson w/ Eagle Logo Wood Carving.  (Read 8276 times)

Harley Davidson w/ Eagle Logo Wood Carving.
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:08:26 AM »
-Wood: 1in. thick Pine
-Toolpathing software: Meshcam
-Carving size: 10"x12"x.65"
-Bit: .125" ball nosed single flute
-Stepover: .09 in roughing and .03" during finish pass(I'd like to do somewhere around .01(or anywhere 7-10% of bit width) or so to minimize tool marks but I need to be able to go faster before that's an option)
-Depth per pass during roughing: .2" (can i do deeper passes?)
-Feedrate: 50in./min (trying to fix problems to go faster at the moment :-\ )
-Spindle Speed: 11000 rpm (I imagine this is too fast for the slow feedrate I'm doing but not quiet sure, especially in pine)

I figured I'd post my first real attempt at a really nice carving and I do wish it would have turned out a little better.  Choosing pine as my wood wasn't really a good choice and I didn't quite get the detail on the eagle like I wanted. I did use the same bit throughout the whole carving cause that's one thing I haven't tackled yet is tool changes and using different bits for roughing, finishing, and pencil finish passes.  Would really appreciate any advice or suggestions on improvement! Enjoy ;D

Mike

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:11:27 AM by mp2008 »
Re: Harley Davidson w/ Eagle Logo Wood Carving.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »
Mike,
(FROM another Mike) I too use MeshCAM Art. To critique your work (although VERY Nice!) I have learned that Pine is pretty much a waste of time, and material. It just doesn't hold up for much carving details without chipping, splitting, cracking, or breaking off. Oak is a much better material to work with. And regarding speed- even though a machine may be capable of faster speeds, this does not necessarily improve things.

But can instead, make it even worse -even if cutting Oak. The reason is, the cutter needs TIME to do it's thing. Sure, you can speed things up to 60 IPM feed rates, with a router running at 27,000 RPM, but it will result in the cutter just Knocking the wood instead of actually cutting it. (Think hitting it with a 27,000 RPM hammer!). I usually do my roughing cuts at about 40 IPM, with a 1/4" straight flute bit. And the finishing cuts at about 22 IPM, with a 1/8" single flute round tip bit. And for really fine details, a 1/16" carbide tile cutter bit.

Patience is the key to getting good results with MC Art. Most of my carvings average about 5 hours total cut time, depending on size, depth of cut, complexity of the shapes edited, etc. I have just finished the tool path for a carving which measures X=21 Y=10 Z=-.75 and the estimated cutting time for that piece is over 12 hours! Have a look at the Marine Corps logo for an example of my work (approximately 9x10).
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:47:54 AM »
Here's the photo.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:41 AM »
Very nice work Mike and very nice work Mike  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:54:11 PM »
Mike,
(FROM another Mike) I too use MeshCAM Art. To critique your work (although VERY Nice!) I have learned that Pine is pretty much a waste of time, and material. It just doesn't hold up for much carving details without chipping, splitting, cracking, or breaking off. Oak is a much better material to work with. And regarding speed- even though a machine may be capable of faster speeds, this does not necessarily improve things.

But can instead, make it even worse -even if cutting Oak. The reason is, the cutter needs TIME to do it's thing. Sure, you can speed things up to 60 IPM feed rates, with a router running at 27,000 RPM, but it will result in the cutter just Knocking the wood instead of actually cutting it. (Think hitting it with a 27,000 RPM hammer!). I usually do my roughing cuts at about 40 IPM, with a 1/4" straight flute bit. And the finishing cuts at about 22 IPM, with a 1/8" single flute round tip bit. And for really fine details, a 1/16" carbide tile cutter bit.

Patience is the key to getting good results with MC Art. Most of my carvings average about 5 hours total cut time, depending on size, depth of cut, complexity of the shapes edited, etc. I have just finished the tool path for a carving which measures X=21 Y=10 Z=-.75 and the estimated cutting time for that piece is over 12 hours! Have a look at the Marine Corps logo for an example of my work (approximately 9x10).

Thanks for your critiquing and advice because I was really clueless on optimal feedrates, bits, and total time of carvings.  I have been actually looking to get higher feedrates to do more carvings in less time because I'm looking to use it for decorating cabinets, doors, and other things we do in our construction business.  I'm not sure how much value the carvings would add to these cabinets, doors, etc. and if it would be worth the labor at these lower speeds?  But after hearing what you had to say I realize lower speeds are best for wood routers, which is pry why the router machine I have only has single start screws and low oz. motors. Well, again thanks for the advice and nice carving, my brother just got out of the marines not even a year ago.

Mike