Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 04:17:03 AM

Author Topic: Can't raise feedrate past 50 in./min. without messing up... suggestions?  (Read 14020 times)

I recently bought a new desktop to replace the old one that ran Mach 3 for my CNC machine.  Because the new one doesn't have parallel ports I also bought a SmoothStepper to convert to USB and to also take some load of the computer.  When I was using the older computer without the SS, I couldn't go above about 50 in/min without having it dive to deep or mess the carving up(this is the reason I decided to replace the computer and get a SS).  So I got a new desktop and hooked up the SS and everything is running great, just the way it was before if not more smoothly, Except when I tried to cut a drawing out at more that 50 in/min(bumped it up to 70), it still messed up and ruined the carving partway through.  I just don't know why I can't go higher than 50 in/min.  I know its not in the process of generating the code with Meshcam(which I do on a separate $2000 desktop) cause it works with the same carving at lower feed rates.  To me it seems like something can't keep up?  I don't know, any suggestions or advice?
Sounds like you may have underpowered equipment, hard to tell without details of your system.  Post them and maybe something will standout enough to get you suggestions.

I just also upgraded one of my routers - larger power supply - SmoothStepper - C25 CNC4PC BOB - Gecko drives.  The improvement over my old setup was amazing.  If I change lead screws and nuts, I'll get even more improvement, but likely not worth it at this time.

Regards,
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com
Sounds like you may have underpowered equipment, hard to tell without details of your system.  Post them and maybe something will standout enough to get you suggestions.

I just also upgraded one of my routers - larger power supply - SmoothStepper - C25 CNC4PC BOB - Gecko drives.  The improvement over my old setup was amazing.  If I change lead screws and nuts, I'll get even more improvement, but likely not worth it at this time.

Regards,
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com
What do you mean exactly when you say "underpowered equipment" ?  Would you elaborate a little?  I don't see how upgrading my "router" would have anything to do with my problems.  The router has nothing to do with the movements of the machine.  I'm guessing you were using it as a more broad term for the whole machine but what exactly would I be upgrading?  I didn't set this machine up so I'm not familiar with exactly how it works, I'm learning as I go so bare with me.  All I know right now is that I have a DynaCNC RTR-1000 Controller and Machine with 4 Gecko Drives and its hooked up to a SmoothStepper.  I can give Specs. on anything but that would have to wait till tomorrow.  Thanks for any help!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Could be that you just don't have the torque available  from your steppers to do the short fast moves that are being demanded by the code. 
RICH
Could be that you just don't have the torque available  from your steppers to do the short fast moves that are being demanded by the code. 
RICH
This sounds promising.  How would I go about getting the torque needed from my steppers.  Would I have to just upgrade my steppers?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Can you increase the amp's and voltage with in the range of the stepper and driver?
If below allowable then you are not taking full advantage of your motors capability.

You can get bigger steppers that for the same given voltage and amp settings you will get more torque / acceleration / and also more usable velocity.

RICH

Can you increase the amp's and voltage with in the range of the stepper and driver?
If below allowable then you are not taking full advantage of your motors capability.

You can get bigger steppers that for the same given voltage and amp settings you will get more torque / acceleration / and also more usable velocity.

RICH

That makes sense.  It makes me understand picengravers post better too.  I'll have to check it out tomorrow.  Thanks for the advice. 

Mike

RICH

Well, I don't really know how and where I need to check the amps and volts.  I found out I have 4 G201 10 Ustep Gecko drives.  How would I know whether I'm using them to their full capabilities and if not, how would I increase the power supplied to them?  I'll post a pic of my drives, stepper, etc. if needed.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
The G201's are capable of 7A and 80 volts max. If you don't use a resistor to set / liimit the amps then the drive can output the max current.
The amps and volts available to the drives are determined by the power supply. You need to look at the motor rating since they may limit current and
volt use.
RICH
The G201's are capable of 7A and 80 volts max. If you don't use a resistor to set / liimit the amps then the drive can output the max current.
The amps and volts available to the drives are determined by the power supply. You need to look at the motor rating since they may limit current and
volt use.
RICH
Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a lot!