Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:50:30 AM

Author Topic: Y-Axis not working, please help  (Read 4241 times)

Y-Axis not working, please help
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
Hi,

After 3 years of reliable functioning, we recently changed our Xylotex control box from 3 to 4 axis so two motor run the X-axis on our CNC router. We did this because the X motor was straining when cutting hardwood. We didn't change anything on the Y-axis but now it's not working with Mach3 Mill. The motor is on, Mach3 shows the Y axis moving, but nothing happens. We were able to get it moving a bit in Mach3 Plasma but we need Mach3 Mill for a full load of work this coming week. I've tried everything I could think of: checked all cables and connections, restarted the machine, tried it on a second PP, updated Mach3 to the latest stable version, nothing works. More info on the system is below. I'm attaching the XML file for Mach3 Mill.

Thanks,
Robert

Dell Optiplex P4 workstation
1GB RAM, Windows XP
Mach3 R3.043.022
Brand new Xylotex 4-axis control box with 269-oz motors

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Y-Axis not working, please help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:30:32 PM »
Try increasing the pulse width in motor tuning to at least 2, and up to 5 and see if that helps. It looks like they are set to 0, and the Xylotex requires at least 2us minimum.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Gerry. I tried it and nothing happened... Going to get another computer now and see if it's the workstation. Any other suggestions, I'm all ears.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:36:17 AM »
If you try to use MC433 board, then it's normal. Throw out this board.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
man I hate to say this..........
I have been down that road, the xylotex is good for beginner cnc to learn on ect.  But it has inherent flaws.

My recommendation to you (and I understand that its not always possible)  but get a 48v power supply and a gecko G540.  your machine will not strain anymore (with the xylotex and the 24v power supply you are nurturing your steppers)  if you have the 269 oz steppers that xylotex sales, they are way way under powered!

Also you will get rid of the harmonics that cause the steppers to miss steps.  I promise you this.  The machine will run smoother, faster and more stable.  So much in fact that you will be amazed and swear that its a whole different machine.   Give the motors the voltage and amps they want.  YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!! and all the little quirks will do away as well.   

I know this sounds like a sales pitch...... I have been down this road.  I have 3 g540s in service and I gave away the xylotex box.  I even have one of the very first G540s that was ever shipped.  If that tells you anything. FRIGGEN bullet proof!