Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:15:07 PM

Author Topic: Y Axis only moves one direction  (Read 6686 times)

Y Axis only moves one direction
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »
Hi All,

I have run into a problem I can't seem to figure out. My Y-Axis only moves in one direction.  I have built a three axis router. I am using Nema 23 motors , and Leadshine amps. I have verified all of my wiring and everything is tight and working correctly.  I build CNC Lasers for a living, this is a pet project for me. This is the first time I have used MACH 3.

This is what I have done so far:

I swapped the y and x axis wiring and the problem moves with the Swap. (Therefore the issues is not with the amps and motors or their wiring)
I swapped the Pin numbers in Motor Config. Problem moves as well.
I swapped the controller card.  (Same issue)
I swapped the 25 pin cable (Same issue)

It appears that I do not have a direction controll on my Y-Axis or My A-Axis. My X and Z axis are working correctly.

It is almost like I have the MACH 3 configured wrong. I am not sure what is going on. I have upgraded to the latest version of MACH 3 as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Re: Y Axis only moves one direction
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »
Welcome !
You might double check that you have the proper port selected for the Y Dir pin.
Attach your XML, the problem might show up there.
Russ
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
I have the Y pointing to port 1 like the others?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
OK .. good.
Post your XML.

The XML is your Mach configuration file. It is located in the main Mach3 folder and will have the name of the profile you are using. For example, if you are using the standard Mill profile it will be called Mach3Mill.xml.
You will need to rename it for the forum to accept it. Copy it to your desktop and rename it, something like YOUR_NAME.xml then use the additional options button on the reply page to browse to it and attach it to your reply. The forum will only accept a file name that has never been submitted before.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
Here is my Config file....

I know that it is something stupid simple wrong....

Thanks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »
XML looks good, have you checked your cable from port to BOB? Also worth checking is the port directly with a volmeter, if you connect between pin 7 and a Gnd pin on the port then jog the axis back and forth you should see the voltage change from 0v to 5v and vice versa.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:01:09 PM »
You could try a different output pin for Y DIR if you have one available.
A quick test to verify if 7 is shot.
Russ
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »
Hi, I tried another cable, and it did not help....

I also moved it to the a axis, and that did not work either. I am starting to think my computer port is partially blown.

I will do the voltage test..

Thanks,

Steve
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
Hi Steve,
Your A axis is not enabled. Unless you enabled it for your swap test.

What I meant was to connect the Y dir to an unused output pin and configure Mach accordingly.
The meter is a good idea.
Russ
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:39 PM »
Hi,

Yes, I did this early on to no avail. That sent me on a wide goose chase through the wiring and amps. Until I switched the X and Y axis and the issue moved. I then realized I was not getting a direction command through the Y or the A axis. I set the A axis back to disable so I would not get confused later. (Forrest for the Trees Syndrome)

Weather is poor here today, might be a day or so to test the computer port.

Thanks for all of the help!

Steve