Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:55:17 PM

Author Topic: Confused about software  (Read 3983 times)

Confused about software
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »
I am very new to the CNC world. So new in fact my machine is not finished yet (needs eletronics installed). I am building one from "Build Your Own CNC Router". Actually the design is sound and functional. I am at the software stage of my adventure (lol). I have a cheap easy to use cad program called Delta CAD v.7. Is anyone familiar with it?  I have copies of Mach 3 of course along with Lazy Cam Beta. I also have Cam Bam. There are several free programs out there for this type of work. Most everyone uses Mach 3 as their machine controller so I'm assuming its use is a no brainer. My question is "What is the best combo of software to use for woodworking on a CNC machine. I want to do signs, wall plaques, object engraving, inlay work all either recessed or raised and of course parts cut out. I welcome any help with this topic either here or via email .
Thanks everyone.
krugshouse
Safe machining everyone

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about software
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »
Dont worry Krugs there are a lot of CAD programs that will do the sort of thing you are trying to do. Learn the ones you have. I personally run BobCad and I do have CamBam though it is different enough in its operation than the BC. I only really have any training on the BC so it is what I understood first. Actually I have Mastercam in 1 of my computers but it too is different. It is just a matter of getting familiar first and then find the shortcomings of that program.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
Hi Krugshouse,

It took a long while saving but I finally managed to buy Vectric VCarvePro http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/vcp/vcp_index.htm There is a demo version available for download plus many samples that you can practice machining.
This will do all the things you mention plus a lot more, it is quick and easy to learn and pretty simple to use but unfortunately it comes at a price.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »
Thanks guys for the information.
dxf file for all
Safe machining everyone

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
Thanks.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »
As Tweakie said, V-Carve Pro is hands down the best choice for woodworking.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html