Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:59:44 AM

Author Topic: Smooth Stepper and MPG Pendant  (Read 16992 times)

Smooth Stepper and MPG Pendant
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:31:52 AM »
Hi Guys, this is my first post so be kind please!!

I am currently rebuilding a Newing Hall Millgrav to run from Mach3, with 4 axis control 4th being a rotary head.
I am using the Smooth stepper and high speed spindle and inverter, but… having read the threads on many forums I have made significant EMC shielding arrangements and decoupling with mains filters and moving the inverter as far away from the SS as physically possible,, we will see later if it is enough.

My question is about setting up the hand held pendant using the SS and port two, and three My pendant is identical to the circuit described here http://www.markusmechatronics.com/HandradAnschluss.jpg

On the SS pin functions page I can see the two lines port 3 changing state as I turn the hand wheel, also I can see the lines on port 2 change as I move the switches, I have configured pins 2~9 as inputs with connection 14 as above high so switches pull up lines as the switches rotate.

But how do I configure Mach3 to recognise these inputs and do something useful with them

I have tried to find the information on this site but i would be a very old man if i read every thing.....i am not too young at the moment either!!

Many thanks for your reply's

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth Stepper and MPG Pendant
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »
You can use various methods, set OEM Triggers, Make a Brain, use a macropump, it all depends what the inputs are and what you want to do.
For the MPG you really want to use Port 3, no just to be clear when I say MPG I am actually referring to the MPG (Manual Pulse Generator) as often people refer to the whole hand pendant as the MPG.
Anyway your MPG seems to have differential capability, in other words you have A+ and A- and B+ and B- pulses. Differential is best to be used if you have the choice as it is very noise resistant. Port 3 of the SS has 3 Differential capable Inputs so you should connect the MPG to two of them. Once you have done that you can set the Port and Pins for MPG1 to whichever Port and Pins you have connected the MPG to. Then go to Function Config menu and then calibrate MPG, you can then follow the steps to "tune" your MPG

If you need more info just shout.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:22:10 AM »
Hi Hood,

Many thanks for your reply.

I mean by MPG the whole pendant, and functional aspects are basic, the knob to generate pulses, and the switches to select which axis and at what rate, like i said in my post, i can see the lines going up and down i just do not know what to do next, i have set ports and pins and set oem triggers, but then i am going into the dark, this must have been done before, i just cannot find an application to copy.

Roger
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:31:52 AM »
Hi Hood,

Additional information
I am using port 3 for the pulse train A+ and A-, in the encoder hand wheel two outputs are not used, port 2 pins 2~9 is being used for axis and step rate

Roger

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
For the encoder you must either use A+ and A-, B+ and B- OR use one of the A and one of the B channels and they must be the same polarity.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »
My Fault yes i am using A and B my only excuse is i am working from memory in the office!!

Roger

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »
The just go to Config menu then Ports and Pins then MPG/Encoder page and set up MPG1 to the port 3 for A and B and set the pins you have connected A and B to. After that do the calibration as mentioned.

For other  ones you would be best to use a Brain to look at the inputs you are using and to write to DROs or press buttons depending on what you want. You will need to set them up in ports and pins as OEM triggers or Inputs so you can let the Brain know where to look.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »
Thanks Hood

I will give it a try

Roger
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 04:22:52 AM »
Hi Hood,

I am still trying to set-up my pendant, i have so far managed to destroy the smooth stepper inputs  by the dvm probe shorting to 12 volts, and subsequently having repaired the SS board i now find myself back at the beginning.

I have the A & B outputs to port 3 pins 2 & 3 pins 2 through to 9 set as inputs with select axis switch on pins 2 though to 5 and pulse speed set  on pins 6 though to 8 and due to an incorrect wiring issue i have temporally set pin 9 as Emergency Stop.
on the SS plug - page i can see all lines moving with response to switch inputs, but i cannot see any  indication of input signals on the diagnostic page ( ALT F7 ).. Should I ??

I can however see one input working when i hit the tap key i see the mpg speed change nothing else works. please what am i doing wrong soon i will be permanently bald!!

Help please

RH
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:24:42 AM by cncezee »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 08:18:43 AM »
You would only see the inputs on diagnostics page if you have them set up as inputs in Ports and Pins.
Hood