Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:35:35 AM

Author Topic: Questions about a ESS from a Mach newbie  (Read 3196 times)

Questions about a ESS from a Mach newbie
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
Well I just got tasked with running a new KL6090 at work.  I am used to running Haas lathes so I am not new to cnc, but I have no experience with Mach 3.  I was given the KL6090, an Ethernet Smooth Stepper and a computer and told I need to program it so we will be able to engrave various parts we make.  So far I have loaded Mach3 downloaded the plugin for the ESS, supplied 5V to the ESS and connected the ESS to the computer.  This is where I get stuck. I am not familiar setting the ports and pins in Mach 3 and the KL6090 came with no documentation and the company it was purchased from will not offer any technical advice and constantly tells me to I have to connect with a rs232 cable and get Mach3 working that way before I can use the ESS, problem being I have no com ports on any of the available computers.  Only usb and ethernet ports, hence the ESS.  So any help would be appreciated.

What do I need to tell Mach is the com port address?
currently I am plugged into 1 on the ESS, but when I try to get the motors to jog they do nothing.

Im sure Ill have more questions to follow.

Shawn

Offline Mc2

•  31 31
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about a ESS from a Mach newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
Shawn, you will need to setup the inputs and outputs of Mach 3 as if you have a printer port. The smooth stepper emulates 3 of them. Do you have any documentation at all from the dealer? You will need motor step and direction pin information. Ask them if they have a profile already made up for this machine and Mach3. Don't through in questions to them about the smooth stepper. They obviously don't have one and will not support that. You do not need there help on that. Just try and get the information that you need to run off a printer port. You will need to config that way even if you are using the smooth stepper to drive the cnc.

Jim.