Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:02:27 AM

Author Topic: Galil dmc-4040 3-axis and/or 4th axis  (Read 3443 times)

Galil dmc-4040 3-axis and/or 4th axis
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:46:56 PM »
Hello all,

I have what should be easy questions for somebody.  I want to... in the near enough future add a horizontal rotary table as the 4th axis but it will only get used very, very infrequently.  I have a table that still needs converting so I really don't know yet for sure what kind of amp or motor yet.  When I do have it ready I don't intend to leave it "hooked up".  All I have is the one bed mill with one computer (Win 7) and one Galil.  Should/Can I set up just one "profile" to include the 4th axis or  should I set up two Mach 3 profiles, one with 3 axis's and one with 4 axis's?  If its set up for 4 axis and the 4th axis isn't there (unplugged), does Mach3 and Galil still work like a normal 3 axis or does it error out?  If I do need to set up a second "profile" how do I do it?  To be more specific, I have a DMC-4040 motion controller with built in amplifiers.  I need to tell the Galil what axis's are brushed or brushless, Amp Gain, Peak Torque, continuous Torque, etc.  etc. etc.  If I do it through Galil Tools I think it sets the board itself one way and only one way.  Is there a way to set these parameters differently through the Mach3/Galil plug-in for each "profile"?  I would strongly favor not having to leave the rotary table connected or having to reset the parameters each time I change back and forth even though it would be very infrequent.  

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Galil dmc-4040 3-axis and/or 4th axis
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »
You can disable the 4th axis in the Galil Plugin axis mapping config.  That is all that should be required.  With this, even if you sent A axis commands to Mach, it would do nothing on the Galil.

Steve
Re: Galil dmc-4040 3-axis and/or 4th axis
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Thanks Steve,

I was really hoping that was the answer.  I'll set up two Mach3 "profiles" then, and open the correct one as needed.