Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:36:36 AM

Author Topic: SS and Laptop  (Read 4198 times)

SS and Laptop
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Hello,

I am looking at getting a new computer for my 4x4 cnc router.  Right now I am using a win7 desktop but am planning on switching to a laptop.  Was wondering if all laptops work.  Also what specs should I be looking for?  This laptop would only be used for mach3. 

Right now I am looking at standard 14" screen laptops from mostly Dell.  Looking at right around 6gigs ram.

Also is there any advantage of using Win7 home or Win7 Pro?

Thanks Eric,

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: SS and Laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »
I'm thinking it should work! Dell bloatware might be something of an issue, but if it's a fast computer, even THAT shouldn't bother too much. And it's not too much trouble to go thru and get rid of a lot of that.

There may be some networking advantages to Windows 7 Pro, but nothing worth worrying about for your machine. Home Premium should be fine, mine runs Home Premium. Desktop, but still.

You'll likely get 64 bit Windows, indicated by 6 gigs of RAM, but with the SS, no problem. You won't be able to run on a parallel port is all.

Go for it. OH, and if you don't already have the SS, get an Ethernet SmoothStepper. Wonderful, just wonderful 8)

Tom
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:48:16 PM by thosj »
--
Tom
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
I use an older dell, 1.8 ghz single core centrino. Works like a champ. Just turn off power management features. Turn off the screensaver and anything that would cause a program to start up while you are running and you should be fine. Mine only has 1gb of ram and is running win 7 home.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:54:28 PM »
I am using a ASUS netbook 1.66, 1 GIG and Win 7 Starter with SS - had some problems with grounding but is now running fine. $300 on Amazom- no shipping, no tax
It also ran on an older COMPAQ laptop with win 7 Pro

Jack
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:19:22 PM »
Hi All,
I am brand new to this CNC world other than my exposure to it as a Machine Designer. I have seen it, understand the very basics, but have never been directly involved in it as a machinist or programmer. I did do a short stint as a CNC Lathe Operator. But nothing more involved. I do not have my router built yet. My question here is will a laptop work running Mach 3 without using SS? I understand the turning off of all power management features and screen savers and the like. I was thinking of getting a parallel port adapter card for the laptop expansion slot. Will that work? I would like to use it (the laptop) because I have it. I do not have the adapter card yet. They are real cheap ($20). If I need to get a used desktop, I will, but would rather not. This laptop would be dedicated to running the router. Design and CAM would be on a different computer.
Laptop is a Sony VAIO, Pentium M 1.73 GHz, 1 GIG RAM, 60 GIG HD 7200 RPM, running Win XP Home 32 bit, with very little other software installed. This is where the Mach 3 will be run. Not sure what I will use for CAM yet. Maybe the CAM that came with my Alibre Design Expert (by MecSoft) to start with, if that will work. It is 2.5D. Does anyone know if that will work with Mach?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
Hi All,
I am brand new to this CNC world other than my exposure to it as a Machine Designer. I have seen it, understand the very basics, but have never been directly involved in it as a machinist or programmer. I did do a short stint as a CNC Lathe Operator. But nothing more involved. I do not have my router built yet. My question here is will a laptop work running Mach 3 without using SS? I understand the turning off of all power management features and screen savers and the like. I was thinking of getting a parallel port adapter card for the laptop expansion slot. Will that work? I would like to use it (the laptop) because I have it. I do not have the adapter card yet. They are real cheap ($20). If I need to get a used desktop, I will, but would rather not. This laptop would be dedicated to running the router. Design and CAM would be on a different computer.
Laptop is a Sony VAIO, Pentium M 1.73 GHz, 1 GIG RAM, 60 GIG HD 7200 RPM, running Win XP Home 32 bit, with very little other software installed. This is where the Mach 3 will be run. Not sure what I will use for CAM yet. Maybe the CAM that came with my Alibre Design Expert (by MecSoft) to start with, if that will work. It is 2.5D. Does anyone know if that will work with Mach?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Sorry for this post. I think I found my answers in an older thread. :-(