Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:03:50 PM

Author Topic: tool change position  (Read 4110 times)

tool change position
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:14:52 AM »
good day all

anyone out there know if there is a plug in or something for MachTurn to set the tool change position. Maybe even an add-on screen that would have that option. I can see it in MachMill but not MachTurn.
I don't have a ATC on my lathe but when i preform a M6T*, it rapids the Z all the way back to the home/limit switch. Almost **** myself when it made it's first tool change after the retrofit.
Scared the livin' bejezzers out of me.  :o
Good thing only cutting air without a tool.

OR does someone out there have a trick up there sleeve for this without adding new switches and such

thanks
Mark
Re: tool change position
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 11:24:27 AM »
I normally put on the toolchange macro a incremental movement in Z+ direction.
This moves the Z a little away from the work and change tool there.
Works for me.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »
I think this will be in the wizards? I got that fright as well the first time I ran the lathe as the toolchange position in the wizards are machine coords which seems strange to me. A mill I can see why but a lathe I would say work coords would be more sensible as you dont have to go to a set position on the lathe to change a tool like you would may on a mil. Usually you just want to clear the work and not much more so work coords are much easier to code for.

What I did was change the script in the wizards to use work coords rather than machine coords, that is something you could do, the other option, if you dont have limits is make sure you ref the machine just clear of the stock so you have room for the toolchnge then when it is asked for it will go to that position.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:58:28 AM »
thanks guys

the macro thing is all new to me - not sure how to build/change one... yet

i took a look in the wizards but, the only place that has tool change position is the threading wizard - gave it a try but made no difference
i do understand what you guys are talking about by moving the tool post in work coordinates. On this lathe, I'm thinking that machine coordinates may work better. the lathe has 1 sliding guard that covers a little more than half of the bed. When it's covering the chuck end, the tail stock end is open.
If it could be programmed to go to something like machine coordinates X-50.0 Z-200.0, I could do the tool change with out moving the guard (I work in metric) and if it rapids to these coordinates, i have no fear of damage to the machine or part and leaves no pinch points. (we must be appease the safety gurus  ::))

looks like i'll have to learn a bit of VB

thanks for the replies guys
have a good day

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »
Ah ok sorry I misread your initial post (as usual ;) )
If you call  a toolchange from MDI do the axis move? If so then it must be your M6start macro that is doing it. What is in the macro? To see go to operator menu in Mach then VB Script Editor then browse to the macro folder then your profile folder and then choose m6start.m1s.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »
thanks for that Hood

I'm off now for the weekend
i'll be back on Tuesday to give the VB thing a try

I just got an e-mail from Carl at MachMotion telling me I may have the incorrect diagnostic screen.
The newest MachTurn has a spot to set the Tool Change coordinates. if this is so, i'll be sure to let everyone know

thanks for your time

Mark

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
Ah ok so it does sound like you have been supplied with a custom M6 macro, shame they did not tell you :( As far as I recall the standard M5 macro just changes the tool number and nothing else.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
good day all

Yes, i had the wrong screen in MachTurn... or an older version of the same screen - had to replace the one that was already there.
Installed the #22lathe.lset file that Carl sent and there it was - a tool change position

set it to the machine coordinates i needed, changed a couple macros to have the X axis move first so it doesn't harm the tooling or tailstock and it's running like a charm ;D

thanks for the input on this people

Tried to upload the file but the site is telling me this file already exists here

thanks again
Mark