Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:31:59 AM

Author Topic: Engraving stick fonts  (Read 2196 times)

Engraving stick fonts
« on: February 10, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »
Thanks to all who replied to my last post.  Still having a difficult time.  Got the fonts worked out, but having a problem with the lines of text don't come out straight.  The lines seem to waver in both "X" & "Y" axis.  Have adjusted the spindle speed & feedrate to optimum, but the lines of text are still crooked, they are drifting randomly.  Could it be slack in these axis ballscrews?  Any and ALL suggestions welcome.  Thanks again to everyone.  I'll be awaiting your replies.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving stick fonts
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:08:10 AM »
The cause could well be lack of rigidity.
Check for slack in the spindle and it's collet and also do not have the tool protruding too far out of the collet. Then check the work is securely fitted to the table and there is no backlash in any of the screws.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: Engraving stick fonts
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:51:46 AM »
Well, not knowing for sure exactly what you mean by "waver",  it could be CV action also 'contributing' to a shortening of some strokes.  It was affecting my text until I played with CV settings.  Sorry, not near my machine so can't check my settings just now.  Test in Exact Stop mode to see if it straightens out.

Regards,
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com