Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:06:45 PM

Author Topic: head stopping up  (Read 3110 times)

head stopping up
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »
we have a recurring problem with our waterjet, we are sure it's not anything to do with Mach3, but this is about the only CNC forum I have really gotten any help from, and I'm hoping some of you have some suggestions or even maybe have had something like this happen before

the problem is that the nozzle frequently clogs when we're cutting ring shaped parts out of "haysite?" fiberglass (not sure how it's spelled)

it RARELY clogs on anything else we cut, but it's not a matter of the head getting too close, since it was about a 1/4" away from the highest point of the material on the last job, and still clogged more often than it ever has, even on this haysite stuff

the only guesses I haven't been able to disprove completely are...
1) the abrasive is getting wet and clumping, or otherwise getting some larger debris, when we put it into the hopper
    but...we've devoted 2-3x the attention to that step when on this job, as compared to normal

2) the haysite gets inside the head somehow, when the water stream stops, since the stuff does tend to bubble up, as the dust forms bubbles, sometimes up around the nozzle
    but...I distinctly remember at least a couple times watching it as it stopped, no bubbles even close to it, and it still clogged

3) the nozzle itself siezes up due to heat, and the orifice closes
    but...wouldn't heat make it EXPAND, not contract?

I'm relatively sure yall are going to want our .xml file, and maybe a code sample, so I'll do what I can to get them posted, but not in a position to do so at the moment...hopefully tonight if I can remember

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: head stopping up
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:53:08 PM »
Clogged nozzles is a contamenation problem of the water OR abrasives. Does the dischage nozzle clog OR the actual water jet.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:12:43 AM »
just the nozzle clogs, I believe - we can reattach it upside down and blow it out, and then it'll work again

I don't think we've considered contamination from the water...how would we go about checking if that's the case?

also, wouldn't that make it clog on anything and everything? it pretty much only clogs when we're cutting the fiberglass

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »
The next time one clogs you need to stop remove the nozzle clean it out on the bench and SEE WHAT it is that is clogging the nozzle.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »
finally remembering to post again O_o

how exactly should we clean it out? our orifice is .010" but the only thing I can think of to reach far enough inside, is either a very thin piece of wire, or water/air pressure...but they both seem pretty impractical to me