Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:58:43 PM

Author Topic: g320x gain dips  (Read 4288 times)

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
g320x gain dips
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
hi,
 could some one please explain the gain settings on the g320x ?
theres alot of them !
does it alter the atrest cain? i thougt pid settings did that?
does it alter amps to motor,I thought the torq limit did that?
any Ideas as gecko seem reluctant to explain.
  tony
Re: g320x gain dips
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:25:17 AM »
Are you asking about the switch settings?  They simple change the range of the gain setting.  Gain is the "P" in PID.  Unless you have a reason to change it, leave the switches in the default positions.  There is no "at rest gain".  There is one, and only one gain, adjusted with the Gain potentiometer.  The Torque limit has nothing whatsoever to do with PID setting, it is simply a motor protection feature.  What all these settings do is explained rather well in the G320x user manual, but it sounds to me like you don't have a good understanding of how a PID servo loop operates.  But, if you follow the tuning steps in the user manual, or the G320X FAQ, you should have no trouble getting it working.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
OK, so if you find your "p" pot is out of range you would alter the dips to get it back in?
cheers
  Tony

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
Just read the latest version of the user manual and nowhere does it link the gain dips to the "p" adjustment
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »
OK, so if you find your "p" pot is out of range you would alter the dips to get it back in?
cheers
  Tony

Yes, if you find you need to set the P potentiometer to one end of it's range, then change the switches to extend or reduce the range of the potentiometer.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »
Just read the latest version of the user manual and nowhere does it link the gain dips to the "p" adjustment

Well, you can hardly expect Gecko tech support, or the users manual, to provide every customer with a complete education on how servo controllers work, but the terminology is pretty much universal, and well understood by those who understand servo controllers.  The P adjustment does set the proportional term of the servo loop gain.  You might want to do some Googling on PID controllers, so you have a better understanding of what all the adjustments actually do.  It's difficult to set a G320X up optimally if you don't understand what the adjustments do, and how they interact.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »
I would expect gecko to explain the settings on there product yes! for the sake of an extra line,this is the 5th cnc build ive done using 320x's and I know exactly what pid is thank you,
and I tune the drives by ear and never had any issues.