Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:32:04 AM

Author Topic: Pins assignments in MACH3 - need help pls!  (Read 7934 times)

Offline markg

•  10 10
    • View Profile
Pins assignments in MACH3 - need help pls!
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
Gentlemen,

I have been using Mach 2 with Geckos on a Bridgeport Series 1 machine for about two years now with nary a hiccup. Excellent results. Very happy.

I am now in the process of building a 4 motor (three axis, A slaved to X) plasma table and I am hoping to use the same controller to run these motors with MACH3 and a torch height controller.  MACH3 is ver. 3.043.022.   BOB is a CNC4PC C11G, it is running on 55 VDC through Gecko 203V's.

Of course, I am building a new machine configuration in MACH3  to run the plasma table.  I am only in the process of bench testing the motors with this same controller used for the Bridgeport and I am having a heck of a time getting the plasma table motors to run on the assigned pins/keyboard jog buttons.

I have been methodically cross checking my ports and pins assignements as I go, comparing them with my MACH2 plasma test configuration but even with identical pins assignment in Mach 2 and Mach 3, different motors run on jog tests. All of them run mind you, the correct ones run in MACH2, but not in MACH3.

I have been careful to save the setup, shut down the controller and Mach3 between config changes and jog tests but I am obviously doing something wrong. I'm kind of at wit's end at this point.

I have attached some screenshots.    Can anybody perhaps suggest some things I should check?  Thanks in advance.

Mark in Montreal

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Pins assignments in MACH3 - need help pls!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
Cant see how that can happen if I am understanding what you are saying correctly. You are saying you can open Mach2 and jog each axis then close it and open Mach3 but when you jog each axis its a different motor that moves? So exactly the same hardware and only difference is Mach3 and Mach2?

Hood

Offline markg

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
Yes.  Same hardware.  Kind of weird I know.  Different xml's though.

In MACH2 I use the Bridgeport's xml modified to include slaving of the A axis to the x axis. Works fine.

In MACH3 it's a scratch built xml.

Can I cross open xml's between M2 and M3? try each xml in the other MACH?

I looked at the jog hotkey designations and they looked ok except for the slaved A axis, does it matter?

thanks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:25 AM »
No you cant use a Mach2 xml with Mach 3 I am afraid.
Can you attach both xml's and I will have a look and see if there is an issue.
Hood

Offline markg

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »
Thanks Hood.

Attached are the two XML's I have been using.

The one in MACH2 that does exactly what i want it to do in MACH2.   'A' axis is slaved to 'X" axis and jogs with the proper keyboard keys, as do the 'Y' and 'Z' axis.

The MACH3 XML in MACH3 on the other hand, does not.  With the same pin designations as in the above MACH2 XML I get this result:

-    'Y' axis jogs with the correct arrow up/arrow down keyboard keys,
-     the 'A' axis motor now jogs with the PgUp/PgDn keyboard keys
-     the 'X' and 'Z' axis motors run together on the 'X' axis jog  keyboard keys

nothing hardware wise has changed between the MACH2 and MACH3 benchtests.

It's as though MACH3 is ignoring the pin designations I have given it.

thanks again for your time.

Mark
Montreal

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:43:22 AM »
Seems fine from first looks so not sure whats going on, will see if I can scope things later on (hope I remember ;D ) to see if I get similar results.
What version of Mach3 are you using?
Hood

Offline markg

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:09:24 AM »
I just did a fresh download on the weekend, MACH3 is ver. 3.043.022

THX!

Mark

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »
Sorry forgot to bring the scope home with me, hopefully I will remember tomorrow :(
Hood

Offline markg

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:12:40 PM »
OK.  Thanks.  I'm sure it's something dumb that I have overlooked, something obvious...I hope.

Mark

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »
Doesnt seem to be from your xml but a scope will tell me for sure, actually thinking about it I have a volt meter here, I will see if I can find a PP cable and hack that up and measure the voltage on the Dir pins, that would tell me.
Hood