Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Three stupid questions  (Read 3379 times)

Three stupid questions
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
Hello all,

Please help if you can.

I'm trying to get a DMC-4040 with integrated amps and Mach3 and my mill to play nice together.  A month ago I gave up on the power supply and amps that I was hoping to reuse and sent my control back to Galil to have amps installed and firmware updated.  At that time the encoders worked and the limits notified me if I hit them, but no motor action at all.  Basically a manual mill with DRO.

I've been through a month of eBay hell but now have the power supply mounted and ready for action.  The DMC-4040 is ready as well.  I've turned it on and some things work and others don't.  It seems like my motors go the wrong way but weird also do my encoders now (they didn't before) and I'm getting error 22 which is a limit fault but I'm no where near any of them.  The motors cage but not strongly as I would like.

So hear goes with the questions:
1)  Where is the debug file hidden?
2)  Should I tune it now or wait until I resolved a few issues.  I've never tuned a servo before and have no idea whatsoever is involved.  I've read that the first step I supposs ed to do is tune the dc servos.  This seems wrong to me as I have errors go off as soon as its turned on.
3)  Does Mach3 have a screen or window or command line I'm supposed to use to set certain Galil parameters?  I've been using the Galil tools lite thus far for setting  things like motor peak amps.
Re: Three stupid questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
I ran out of room or something...

Even if you can only answer one of the three,  thanks for any help.

Chris
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »
I'll answer #3.  You still use the Galil tools to set motor parameters (i.e. tuning KD, KP, KI) and then execute the BN (burn) command, othewise they will get reset.  If you're referring the Galil debug file, I think its in the Galil plugin directory.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:25:06 PM by Instance »
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »
Thank you Instance.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:20 AM »
#2. It depends on what errors you are getting when you try to tune. Do you have the limits set sorrectly? If you're tuning manually there may not be any parameters for the Galil to use yet. I use the WSDK software to autotune and it gets close provided the motor/encoder connections are right.