Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:59:01 AM

Author Topic: Help setting up my electronics - noise problems - SOS!  (Read 3458 times)

Help setting up my electronics - noise problems - SOS!
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:51:57 AM »
 Hey guys,

I'm having some problems setting up my electronics. The configuration is: SS, C11G,  G320X, KL2200 spindle, keling VFD22, 72V 20amp power supply.
I've pre assembled everything on a MDF sheet, just for testing the motors, drivers, bob and VFD. Everything seemed to be fine on these tests.  I could even  calibrate the spindle and the VFD  didn' t cause any interference that I could notice. 
Now my machine is assembled and I started to wire limit switches and everything else for testing. I could tune motors and put the limit switches to work, but when I tried to run the spindle the system crashed. As soon as I gave a M3S*********x command I got the following message:

Error returned from USB function FT_write
Error: FTDI USB DRIVER ERROR

ERROR = FT_IO_ERROR

Bytes requested: 192
Bytes written: 0

I couldn't run the spindle for 1 second cause in the moment the CW relay turned on, the SS crashed. When this occurs the red led on the SS stops to blink and I need to switch it off and restart Mach3.
I unpluged the spindle cable and gave the M3S*********x command again and got no problem, so the VFD itself is not causing the noise to SS board. I figured out that the spindle is causing the noise, somehow it is throwing interference through its cable.
I'm powering the analog 0-10v spindle speed control with an ATX power supply that I took from an old computer. The C11G was being powered with a 5v regulated power supply, so I tried using the 5v output from the ATX instead and got the spindle to run, but still crashing after a while. 
After all the testings I presume it is a grounding problem and need help solving this. 

Does anyone experienced this ?
I've read somethings about ground loop but I don't know much of electrical theory. Can someone explain me what it is, how it occurs and what should I do to avoid it?
Which is the best way to ground everything?
I've disabled the mechanical limit switches because I think they were making things worse. Is there a way to ground or shield them against noise?
Does anyone know if a wrong wiring of the UVW inputs on the VFD could cause noise issues?

Please someone help me! I really need to get my machine to work. 

Thanks
Re: Help setting up my electronics - noise problems - SOS!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »
You should check index debounce setting in the general config (set to 1000) try that.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
Hi Billbob,

Thank you for your answer. I'm using a smooth stepper board combined with a C11G. There are some settings for debounce on the smooth stepper plugin control, but can you tell if it works together with mach's debounce settings or does the SS ignore it?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Hi Murilana
I think it has to do with Mach3, on my lathe I had to have a setting of 1000 on Debounce Interval and on my Mill I used 100 on each setting.
With out any setting as soon as the spindle would turn on Mach3 would reset.
Bill