Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:53:45 PM

Author Topic: Last question I promise.... (re: tool path position)  (Read 3054 times)

Last question I promise.... (re: tool path position)
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:35:43 AM »
Well at least I hope its the last question! lol  ;)

So, thanks to Hood I got all my axis moving the right direction and homing properly.
Right now it homes to the negative X and Y axis. (No home switch on Z axis yet)

Today after setting this all up I went to the wizards and loaded the G-code for surfacing. First time loading G-code. It gave me a warning that work was outside of limits and after poking around for a while I notice the tool path on the table display was loaded on the opposite side of the cross hairs...
So, instead of showing the work piece or tool path on the work screen it was displaying it to the left of X home and to the bottom of Y home. I jogged to the middle of the table and regen'ed the tool path but got the same result.
I know its gotta be something I did but can't seem to find out what.

Thanks guys in advance

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Last question I promise.... (re: tool path position)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:52:06 AM »
You need to set up your work offsets, that is the numbers you normally see in the DROs.
When you home you are setting Machine Coordinates, these are used by Mach to keep a track of things but normally the user does not need them.
So what you would do is jog to say the middle of the table and then press the zero at each DRO and that will set up a work offset. If you were to press Machine Coords button you would see they still show the distance you are away from your home position even though the work offsets now read zero.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:59:58 AM »
Thanks again Hood.
What I am trying to do for my first CNC project is to true (surface) the table. Wouldn't I run the wizard and then start for the Home position?
Does the wizard take any of my dimensions (i.e. table size) in consideration or does the code need to be edited for my particular machine?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:05:48 AM »
Ok if you are setting X and Y zero in the wizard then possibly you have set the wrong corner as the start point?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
I'm guessing that is the problem or at least it looks that way. Gotta figure out how to change the starting point...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of the wizard screen with the settings you are using
Hood
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:27:24 AM »
Thanks Hood,
I just found out that some of the other wizards start at the right place. Not sure what the deal is with this one. No worries, I managed the surface my table without any G-Code. Just ran it back and forth for a few minutes....

thanks for all the help!