Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:17:18 AM

Author Topic: Homing and limit troubles....  (Read 4131 times)

Homing and limit troubles....
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:01:39 AM »
Finally got my X and Y switches hooked up (still waiting for my Z switches) but having some issues.

First let me explain my setup. I have 2 switches per axis and each switch is supposed to act as a Home and Limit switch.

If jog away from the switches and then press "goto zero" and sometimes it goes to zero as suppose to. It slows down but never touches the switch, other times it engages the switch and triggers the limit and never backs off the switch. Not sure exactly what to do.
Do I jog the machine to the zero position and press "ref all"? and then mach3 knows thats home?  How do I set it up so it can find home and back off the switch and then save that setting? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  I've watch the videos but still confused.

Any help would be great! Thanks...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Homing and limit troubles....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:10:40 AM »
If you have the switches set as both home and limits then it should work fine. You press Ref All from any place and the axis should move in turn to the switch, hit it then reverse and stop again when the switch closes, that is then set as the home position in Mach. Make sure you have auto zero chosen in the Homing and Limits setup (from Config menu)
Go to Zero is telling Mach to go to the current offset zero and not necessarily the home position, it will depend on whether you have set an offset or not.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »
Thanks Hood. Unfortunate pressing Ref All doesn't do anything...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »
If you attach your xml I will have a look and see what the problem is.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
Thanks hood, I'll get it tonight.
How do I get the XML file?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
Look lower left of Mach screen to see the name of the profile you are using, assuming you are not sure, then go to the Mach3 folder and find a file with that name and a xml extension. You will likely have to rename before the forum will accept so just copy to your desktop and renema to something like peterm.xml

Hood
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:15:21 PM »
Here you go. Thanks a lot!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:05:34 AM »
You have the switches set as limits but you have not set up them as home switches. What you want to do is go to Config menu then Ports and Pins then Inputs and set the Home for each axis up. If you want to home to the fully negative then set X and Y Home switch to same port number as your X and Y negative limits. If you want to home to the positive switch then set that as your Home switch and then put in the distance you are away from fully negative in the Home Off box.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:43:31 PM »
I might have missed something!! Thanks so much for taking a look! I'll get on it tonight
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »
Hood, it worked!!
thanks so much!