Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:13:28 PM

Author Topic: Cutting depth is deeper than whats programmed  (Read 5876 times)

Cutting depth is deeper than whats programmed
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:01:49 PM »
I am new to mach 3 and I have the basic setup done in order to use Mach 3 milling. The problem that I am having is explain below:

I have a stock or peace of material that is 0.5 inch thick. I am designing a gear and I have uploaded my g code to mach 3. I jog the x,y,z axis in the location I want it. The tool that is on the z axis is flesh again the material I am cutting. After doing all of this I press the buttons to zero the x,y, and z axis. I upload the g-code and began milling. everything from the x and y axis are correct, but the z axis cut the material top surface 1/3 inch down. Once everything is finish I notice that the tool has cut into the cnc machine table 1/3 inch.

I am using meshcam and I email support my g-code and they tell me that everything is fine and that on there machine it is not doing what mind is doing.
There support told me that it sound like a offset is turn on but they are not sure

Can someone help me out. with this.   

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting depth is deeper than whats programmed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:24:46 PM »
Just repeat exactly how you set up before, but don't run the program, Then look at  CONFIG> FIXTURES
and see if there are any offsets. Also look at your first few lines of code and see what moves are taking place.

Think you will find your answer.

BTW, You can avoid what happened by air cutting / dry running the program before actually trying to machine it.
This way if something is not correct you can correct it before milling the table top.
RICH
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:27:43 PM by RICH »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »
IF the axis is set correctly for steps per unit then

COuld be loosing steps on the Z. It will get lowere and lower the longer you run.

Did the Z DRO read correctly for Z when it was finished? Or was it OFF as well

(;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:44:03 AM »
I have a driver broad from probotic. It is the side stepper driver broad. I have a CNC machine from zenbotcnc.com the 1216.
For some reason the z axis started of with the top of the surface at 0. Now the top of the surface is 6.1216

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:15:55 AM »
attach your xml and the code and also the fixtures.dat ad tools3.dat these last two you will find in the macro folder for the profile you are using, the xml you will find in the main Mach3 folder and will have the name of the profile you are using and will have a xml file extension. You will either have to copy and rename them before you attach to the forum or zip them and give them a unique name. The reason for the unique name is the forum only accepts a file name once and it is likely your xml will have a standard name and that will have been posted before, the fixtures.dat and tools3.dat will definitely have been posted before so you will definitely need to rename or zip them.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:30:21 AM »
Here are the files. I could not find the tools3 you asked for. I am using meshcam 5 as the cam software. Also If you can not open the file just change the extention to .7z

[mod: attachment removed]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:11:30 AM by stirling »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:34:31 AM »
I have sent you a PM.
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:46:30 AM »
You are using a pirate licence - You will get no further help here. If you feel this is in error contact Mach licencing support.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:55:18 AM by stirling »