Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:37:06 AM

Author Topic: Custom Wood Carvings  (Read 6384 times)

Custom Wood Carvings
« on: December 31, 2011, 05:28:04 AM »
I've been busy lately, mostly doing these as Christmas gifts for family (and a few customers). These are done from laminated Oak (recycled tractor-trailer flooring).
Basic shape is carved on the home built CNC router, then hand detailed with a Dremel tool.
Enjoy!
Re: Custom Wood Carvings
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:34:46 AM »
Looks very nice, especially the Palmers one, a nice colour on the wood.

What software are you using for the design and producing the Gcode?

Brian
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 05:51:35 AM »
Corel Draw for the art, and MeshCAM Art to generate the tool paths. I am also working on an article for Digital Machinist about the process I use, calling the article Digital Sculpting. I have been trying to let folks know, that I can do these carvings from their artwork (or YOURS!). Haven't quite gotten good enough to do portrait type photos, but simple line art stuff I can handle.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 06:23:55 AM »
Cheers for that.

The reason I am asking is I am having a go my self.
I have been given a couple of hundred pieces of old Oak Parquet flooring tiles and I am playing with ideas of what I can do with them.

I am using Photoshop and then Meshcam with some success but not good enough to show yet. The only thing I find with Meshcam is I don't get the control I would like.

Brian

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »
Beautiful work you're doing, thanks for sharing -  :)

How big are these?

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
Nice!

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »
Average size is about 8x10 on Army, 8x13 on Family name plaques. Most average about 0.75" to 1" thick. (Thickness varies depending on shape carved in MeshCAM).  As far as parquet flooring, it might be fine for an engraving project. But for 3D scuplting, you need something more than an inch thick to start out with. If you want something carved, send me your artwork and I will see what I can do with it - as far as creating a tool path.
Just send as an attachment to adprinters@bellsouth.net BE SURE TO INCLUDE IN SUBJECT LINE: WOOD CARVING, otherwise your email may end up in my trash folder unread. (I get a LOT of junk emails everyday!). Happy New Year to all my Mach friends!
-Michael
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »
Looks very nice, especially the Palmers one, a nice colour on the wood.

Brian
Believe it or not, the Huckabees one actually looks very similar to the Palmers one. The woodgrain of Oak, after finishing with polyurethane, is an almost infinite light-catcher. It depends on the lighting, and the viewing angle. These photos were actually taken by two different cameras by the recipients of these plaques, and posted on facebook at my request (since I forgot to get a photo record of these carvings before shipping). Both of these pieces were carved from the same piece of wood.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
Very nice work indeed.

Tweakie.
PEACE