Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:35:57 AM

Author Topic: Learning Mach 3  (Read 2824 times)

Learning Mach 3
« on: December 24, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »
Good Morning: Probably covered this subject many times before, but I am new to the Forum and new to the world of CNC
I have a Shop Task/Shopmaster Patriot 4 axis machine w/full CNC and Mach 3 on it's connected computer. I am literate, have considerable skills in design, modeling, eat, very much attached to my industry, ceramic design for the tabletop and housewares industries.

I am wondering if there is anyone in the Denver/Front Range Area that can help me learn some basics of Mach 3 so I can move from the world of manual operations to CNC? And yes, I would be happy to compensate for travel and time.

Also, any reccommendations for books? Really need getting started type books........
Thanks in advance

Ceramic Design in Denver

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:39:02 AM »
Initially, perhaps take a look at our Video's and Tutorials here;  http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 01:43:42 AM »
Hi,
I've got a couple of weeks off from work and would luv to help. I live in New Zealand...and
have never been to Denver.

Forever Hopeful
Craig

PS while I would luv to help it is a joke!
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 07:34:18 AM »
I'm a long time user of M3. I just like you started from scratch.
The biggest help I received was to read the M3 manual. I can not
tell you how many times I have gone thru it.
Come up with something simple, in your line of work and produce
it. You will make tons of mistakes, but it will get you a step closer
to becoming experienced.
I think I have been working on my cnc mill for over 10 years and
still learn something every time I use it.
I converted my mill to cnc. Pretty steep learning curve. If your machine
is already setup, or close, you will be miles ahead of me when I started.
Ask away, lots of cnc'ers here to help!
olf20 / Bob
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 12:39:36 PM »
CNC without a Cam program is starting back in the dark ages. I worked as a CNC programmer back before Cam became really common. We have a very nice nearly new (1996 with 100 hrs) bed mill because programming took way too much time unless you were going to run production, so it never got used. Now we have a seat of CamBam right on the mill computer. We don't bother manually writing code for anything. The fastest way to learn G-code is to have an expert help you. Having a Cam program showing you how to write code makes the learning go really fast. Get CamBam and use it for 40 sessions free. Get on the forum and get lots of help free. Then buy it for $150 or use what you have learned to get what you really need.