Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:37:40 PM

Author Topic: Limit Rapids  (Read 3193 times)

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
Limit Rapids
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:12:08 AM »
I am sure there is a way to limit the rapid speed even though you have manually over ridden the programed speed but I can't find the right place.

My motor tuning is set for 20 IPM, lock rapid FRO to feed FRO is not checked, and Rapid OvRd is set to 20 and is active.

Problem:
While running a program and I see that the feed rate should be increased I use the + sign to increase the feed but when the program comes to a rapid move the rapid speed increases also.  
How do I set Mach so the rapid speed is never over 20 IPM?

What am I missing?

Thanks
Ray

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Limit Rapids
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:19:21 AM »
The rapid is set in Motor Tuning, it is your Velocity which you have set. If you have that as 20IPM then Mach will never go over that even if you have the FRO and RRO set to be linked. The FRO can go over 100% but Rapid will not.
Hood

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »
I have attached a test file that is a simple 2" square pocket but cut in two passes. 

I start the program and while it is cutting the first pass I increase the feed rate to 150% or to 15 inches a minute.  When the machine does a rapid move back to 0,0 for the next pass it will run at 24 inches a minute even though I have the Velocity in the motor tuning set at 19.998 inches per minute.

I used VCarve Pro to write the G code.
Is there some G code that will override the settings in Mach?

Thank you
Ray

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
What you are seeing is the speed of the move and not each axis. Think about it this way, if you are at say X10 and Y10 and command to go to zero then each axis will move at your rapid speed but because the path is not along an axis but rather a diagonal then the feed will show as much faster even though each axis is only doing its rapid speed as set in motor tuning.
Hood

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
Now I get it!

Thank you Hood for the excellent explanation.

Ray