Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:23:24 AM

Author Topic: Newbie needs help with Z-axis error codes  (Read 9251 times)

Newbie needs help with Z-axis error codes
« on: January 04, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
I'm new to the world of router tables and I just recently purchased a used 6 X 10 Precix Router table. The controller had just been replaced with an Ajax ALLIN1DC and the software is Mach3. The guy I bought it from had just replaced the ball screw because of a crash that he had in trying to set up this new controller and software. After waiting months for the part he lost interest and sold the thing to me as a project. I've been able to get everything fired up and working but had some issue I need your help with. I was able to get everything moving on the X, Y and Z axes briefly but when trying the Z everything stopped working and the error code "Axis Z Encoder Error" came up. I hit "Clear" and then "Reset" and was able to get the Z to move again briefly and then the same error message came up but this time I was no longer able to clear the error and get things to restart. I also have a scrolling error near the Reset button that says "Press Reset...Emergency Mode Active". Also I have a flashing yellow button that says "Abnormal Condition" and when I click on it the message comes up saying "One or More Axis enabled or disabled". I have no doubt these are all related and pointing to something. I just need your help to get this resolved. Thanks in advance for your input!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie needs help with Z-axis error codes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:10:47 AM »
It all seems to stem from the Ajax control throwing an encoder state error, what exactly that means I am not sure, it could be noise on the encoder lines giving bad feedback, could be the encoder is not being seen at all, could be just your tuning of the motors.
Really you need to talk to Ajax as the message re encoder is generated by their plugin so hopefully they can point you in the right direction.
I d seem to recall someone else with a similar message, from an Ajax setup, posted a year or so ago, cant remember what the outcome was but maybe a search of the forum would find something.
Hood

Offline bw

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »
"Press Reset...Emergency Mode Active" usually comes on when the e stop or reset is hit.  "Abnormal Condition" pops up from time to time when a config change has been made, no big deal just ignore it or reset it.  As for you encoder error, as hood said noise, motor tuning, not wired right, things like that could cause it.  You might want to try going in to the Ajax plug in config and "turn off the stop on encoder error" until you get it dialed in.  You might also try switching the encoders with another axis and see if it faults there too.  The chances of getting any prompt (if any) reply from Ajax are almost impossible, the Ajax forum does have some good info on it you may also want to read.

Good luck!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »
Thanks for all your help. I've turned off the "stop on encoder error" and have the axes moving again, although they are moving very slowly. Do you have any direction you can give me on what might cause them to do that? Should I just continue on with motor tuning and see what that resolves? Thanks again (hood & bw) for your input!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 06:19:04 PM »
Have a look at this thread, I did a search as I was sure a similar problem had been posted before. Maybe it will help http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13968.10.html

Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »
Thanks Hood, I contacted KiloOne and he sent me the file mentioned in his post. I'm now trying to figure out how to install the thing. It's a .rar file and I'm not familiar with how to proceed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »
rar files are just like zips. I think you can download winrar free, at least you used to be able to.
Hood

Offline bw

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:51:09 AM »
Check your velocity and acceleration settings in motor tuning.  Also check the LED status on the allin1dc, there are several that may help you to determine what the issue might be.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »
Thanks bw, Is there a standard or recommended velocity and acceleration setting to use? I was going to go into the motor tuning this afternoon and take a look at that. On the allin1dc the led1 is the number "1" and it is not flashing. What might that mean?

Thanks, bingart

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
Velocity in Mach for a servo system is a known quantity (assuming motors are sized correctly) as you know the max rpm of the motors for the voltage you are supplying them and you also know the amount of revolutions of the motor to 1 unit (Inch or mm)

Acceleration is a case of trial and error as it will depend on the setup you have, axis weight, motor power/torque, gearing etc.

With servos you really need to tune the motors/drives first though before you start setting up the settings in Mach, your drives normally have software to allow you to do that although older hardware it was done via trimmers on the drive/Amplifier.
Hood