Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:52:46 PM

Author Topic: computer problem, need to save what I can  (Read 2541 times)

computer problem, need to save what I can
« on: January 03, 2012, 08:34:29 AM »
Looks like my computer for my Mach3 conversion has bitten the dust. When I boot up it gives me this error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I'm hoping I can get to a dos prompt to recover my Mach3 programs and settings. I'll probably end up taking it to the computer doctor, but they tend to wipe the drive and start over.
not having fun
i_r_machinist

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: computer problem, need to save what I can
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
depends on your skill level/confidence/bravery but there are many ways you can try to rescue your data before you attempt to fix the actual problem. You COULD try to fix the problem first but that's your call - personally I'd make safe your personal files first.

google the full error you've posted here for a start (it's well documented) and then google booting a corrupt windoze instalation and look for backing up first.

Oh and finally - get yourself a new computer doctor - if that's their best effort - they shouldn't (IMHO) be allowed within a country mile of any computer.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:25:57 AM by stirling »
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »
i_r_machinist, if its XP or 2000 you can boot to dos from the windows cdrom. Make sure that your BIOS is setup to boot from CDROM. Put the disk in and start the computer. The computer will start and ask you if you want to boot from CD. Press enter and then the computer will start up from the CD. When it does you will be given several options. WARNING, its from here that you can screw things up so be careful.

Choose the repair windows option. This will rebuild, repair or copy any corrupted windows files. It may take some time so make yourself a cup of tea and be patient.

If all goes well the PC will restart, this time dont allow it to boot from CDROM. Windows will come up. Its at this stage that you make a backup of ALL important files.

I wish you the best of luck.

Stirling, most PC shops / repair centres do that. Its normal practice. Data recovery is expensive and time consuming and most "normal" people arnt prepared to pay for it. However, you are right, in my opinion they are doing a simple job for lots of money and thats just wrong.

Regards.

Mike.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
I had a hal.dll computer problem a couple years ago and it took a while to get it repaired as I didn't have the proper disks. Here's a link to an informative article regarding the possible causes and repair:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm

Good luck!!!!!!!!!