Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:22:45 AM

Author Topic: re : Mach turn ,tool radius index too big  (Read 30116 times)

Re: re : Mach turn ,tool radius index too big
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »
Rich,
That is probably good enough, but if we wanted to be specific I think it's really a matter of the PP driver revision rather than the mach rev #: PP driver 601 works, 570 had the problem.
I'm unsure as to the mapping between PP driver versions and mach release versions (would be nice if we could look that up easily in the mach release notes :D)
In any case, mach revs are what users can download, so referring to the mach rev is prob ok.
For MSM, I happen to recommend 3.43.37 or later for reasons unrelated to this thread - I don't know that 3.43.37 was the first with PP driver 601.

Dave

Will put some words in the Threading On The Lathe - Mach3 Turn write up as follows:

- Threading was first fixed in Version 3.042.032
- Threading was then updated in Version 3.042.033 to account for CPU's with a fast bus speed >2.1 GHz to eliminate a (-)
   spindle speed in the DRO
- Version 3.043.37 recomended if using MSM and it is available  (via permission) from the CVI web site download area
   at www.CalyopsoVentures.com

Should the user have a threading problem using versions after 3.042.033 and greater please post on the Artsoft Forum.

RICH
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2012, 09:45:25 PM »
Dave,
When you say PP driver are you referring to the Mach3 Driver version one would find under the Windows Device Manager?
If that's the case,I have two different drivers for the same version of Mach installed on two different computers and can only say that
for Version 3.042.033 ....5.50.0.0 works.
RICH
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
Alas, I've found the driver info shown by the windows device manager useless for mach - I don't think that mach fills in the info fields that the device manager looks at...

The only way I know to learn the actual version number of the loaded PP driver is to run the Drivertest program - that shows parallel port driver version.

Attached is a pic of the ver # in drivertest.

I got in the habit of checking the PP driver version via drivertest when I realized that mach installs & uninstalls don't always update/revert the driver correctly. I've had cases where installing mach would leave me with the driver from a previous mach install - and the mismatch has caused problems.

Dave

Dave,
When you say PP driver are you referring to the Mach3 Driver version one would find under the Windows Device Manager?
If that's the case,I have two different drivers for the same version of Mach installed on two different computers and can only say that
for Version 3.042.033 ....5.50.0.0 works.
RICH
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2012, 06:45:22 AM »
Note that starting with Ver 3.042.034 the driver test was modified to show the revision of driver being used.

I'll add that to the the comments also in the write up.

RICH
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »
Hi,

Before we go changing the Wiki, we might want to consider this additional data...

I took my test system, and installed mach 3.32.22 - I did not first uninstall Mach 3.43.37, I just ran the 3.43.22 installer and overwrote the 3.43.37 installation. I then ran drivertest and verified that the PP driver version had changed from 601 to 570.

The I repeated the MSM/1024 lathe tests - all combinations are still good.
I could run mach 1024 lathe and MSM mill in any order and there were no problems.
That tends to say that it is not driver level / mach release dependent as I last suspected.

I heard from Dusty, and he said that after changing from mach 3.43.22 up to 3.32.37 his system now works also (thogh he is experiencing some other issue that show up as a art code).

This makes me wonder is there is some other issue in Dusty's setup - not to pick on Dusty, just noting that the common thing at this point is that system's setup. It's exhibiting unwanted behavior while the same software is running fine on other systems.

I'm not sure what the root issue is/was, but my test show that it is not an MSM issue, and probably not a mach 3.43.22/3.43.37 issue as I've successfully run both of those combinations.... so maybe an wiki update is premature at this time?

Dave
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
OK, I think we can finally put this one to rest....

From an email from Dusty:
"I deleted the original install of XP home edition and replaced it, i had bought a couple XP. operating systems a few years ago so i used one of them , and this solved everything !
I can now run Mach version mach 3 v3.43.37 with MSM and Thread on the Lathe"

In all this interaction it seems no one had realized that the win version was Win XP HOME EDITION -
Of course, WIn XP home is not on the list of supported OS versions at machsupport...

Now wouldn't it have been nice if Mach checked the OS version when it starts so that it would not attempt to run on an unsupported OS version.... ?!?   ::)

Dave

www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2012, 08:17:44 PM »
I have never heard Home edition doesnt work, is there more info on that?
Hood
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »
I'm really just making an extrapolation... Given that the XP pro solved the issues, it could be either XP home vs XP pro, or it could be the clean up done by starting from an OS install.

If someone wants to do the experiments, I'd be semi-interested in hearing the results (but that'll never get to the top of my spare time list!).

Dave

I have never heard Home edition doesnt work, is there more info on that?
Hood
;D
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »
I would imagine there are lots of people using Home edition so think it would have reared its ugly head before now if there was an issue. Maybe it is that no one has a lathe on Home and that the only issue is with threading, still find that unlikely. More likely as you say the clean up did the trick. If I had Home edition I would give it a go but afraid I dont.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »
I know that one of my friends uses XP Home and has no problems with threading.
Believe he is using V3.042.033 and I will confirm.

Not sure what Dusty's  problem was. Files other than the driver needed to be changed when we were testing, so,  it may be best
to find out from Brian specifics on what files in Mach ie; sys, driver, etc  should be used with what version of Mach.

I had to always go into  Windows and do a search for the sys and  exe and delete those files and then copy in the new files for testing and run the driver test to install it.
The PC here would use the first file it found on the hard drive and ignore the replacement files. Same would happen on a reinstall.
Don't want to confuse the issue, but, it could be something other than MSM or only one file of a MACH version. Just don't know.

RICH

MODIFIED: BTW, no thread testing done here for any after Ver 3.042.034.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:55:36 AM by RICH »