Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:24:50 PM

Author Topic: CNC3040 intermittent axis movements  (Read 7471 times)

CNC3040 intermittent axis movements
« on: December 26, 2011, 05:29:51 AM »
Since posting my videos and files about my CNC3040 improvements, a few members have contacted me about problems with intermittent/uncontrollable movements of one axis of their 3040.  In both cases the cause has turned out to be the same (poor quality manufacturing), so I thought it might be useful to other (maybe future) members who experience the same problem.

The most recent member to contact me on this topic has agreed to our private messages being made public, for the benefit of others, so below is a transcript of those messages.  I Hope it helps someone else to solve the same problem!

Regards, Daniel
Gerroa, Australia.

---------------
Help
« Sent to: DanielF on: December 24, 2011, 03:41:32 AM »
Hi Daniel
I had purchased last few months ago a 4030 from Hong Kong. Still I can not run this machine.
I will appreciate if you send me the MACH3 setting screens capture or if you have any video kindly send me. The Z-axiz is not stable. It goes randomely up or down without control.
Thanks.

---------------
Re: Help
« Sent to: muqtadir on: December 24, 2011, 06:05:27 AM »
Muqtadir,
The Mach3 settings for the CNC3040 are shown in the manual, available here:
http://www.amonstar.com/web/xu/3040new/user%20manual%203040.doc
But your problem sounds more like an intermittent contact.  The last person who contacted me with a similar problem found a loose terminal in one of the connectors on the PC interface board (inside the CNC3040 control box).
Open up your control box, and look at the board mounted on the back panel (where the parallel cable connects).  There are three 4-pin connectors labelled 'X', 'Y' and 'Z'.  Unplug the 'Z' connector and gently tug on each wire going into it.  If any pulls out, you've found the problem!  Carefully check the terminal's orientation (there should be a 'tang' sticking out, which must align with the slot in the side of the housing, to lock it in), then push it fully in until it clicks, and check it is locked in by gently tugging again.
If this isn't the cause, contact me again for further things to check.
Regards, Daniel

---------------
« Sent to: DanielF on: December 24, 2011, 07:08:16 AM »
Many thanks for your quick reply. Tomorrow I will report you.
Regards.

---------------
« Sent to: DanielF on: December 26, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »
Hi Daniel
Happy Marry Chrismas !

Thanks for your advise and I have checked so one of the wire from Z-axis had problem. After fixing it is fine and no problem. If the size of the x and y is not same as I need so, where I have to change values of X and Y to get right output.

Best Regard.

---------------
« Sent to: muqtadir on: December 26, 2011, 12:??:?? AM »
Muqtadir,

Glad you were able to find and fix the intermittent axis problem.  Since it seems to be fairly common with these machines (that's two in two months that I've heard of!), would you object if I made this thread public on the MachSupport forum?  It might then help others who have a similar problem.

Regarding setting the axis 'scaling' (pulses per  millimetre), this is done in Mach3 via this menu path:
Config/Motor Tuning.
Select the appropriate axis (X/Y/Z) with the buttons on the right, then enter the corresponding steps per millimetre, maximum (G0) velocity, and acceleration rate in those fields.  Also step pulse and direction pulse durations.  You'll find all those required numbers in the CNC3040 manual (page 15), which you can download (if not already) from the link I previously supplied.  After changing any value for an axis, be sure to click the SAVE AXIS SETTINGS button before moving to the next axis!

Thanks for your Xmas greeting.  Season's Greetings to you too, and a I hope you have a great new year!  We had a beautiful warm Xmas Day (yesterday), our warmest this summer (it's been unseasonably cool this summer!).

Rgds, Daniel
Gerroa, Australia

---------------
« Sent to: DanielF on: December 26, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
Daniel

Nice your comments and glad you spend good time on 25th December and hope you will enjoy on New Year's too.

It is excellent idea for others you can put on public as you already had few modifications and these are your excellent work.

Best Regards.

A. Muqtadir
----------------
Re: CNC3040 intermittent axis movements
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »
If you want to resolved problem, just change YOOCNC card by this one :

I've have exactly same problem as you ith my new CNC3040 from amonstar after one week ... only run 5 hours when Z axis becomes crazy !!!

See link below : http://shop.ebay.fr/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=0&_sacat=See-All-Categories&LH_PrefLoc=2&cmd=Blend&_nkw=5+Axis+CNC+Breakout+Board+For+Stepper+Driver+Controller&cmd=Blend

PLUG AND PLAY with all CNC from AMONSTAR ! Best quality and many option with it !!!

D.