Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:21:24 AM

Author Topic: Ref all Home sends X axis running off - indefinaltey  (Read 5471 times)

Ref all Home sends X axis running off - indefinaltey
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
Hello,
Recently when I hit ref all home the x axis takes off and does not stop until I kill it. It does this with or without my CNC machine (zenbot) turned on.
Anyone have an idea what could cause or how to fix ?
Thanks
Re: Ref all Home sends X axis running off - indefinaltey
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:49:43 PM »
I had a similar problem. When traversed it would not stop in the y axis till I hit emergency stop.
It was my fault I had put 4.00" instead of .004" into the y axis backlash.
Graham

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
DO you have home switches, and do they work?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:20:24 PM »
I had the same problem for months.  I used my limit switches as home switches.  One
day I discovered I had my Y and X axis limit switches crossed at the break out board...
I never noticed it because the limit switches worked.  It was one of those hand to
 the forehead moments!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »
Thanks for your replies
I do not have any home or limit switches, yet.
I will check the X axis backlash, but I had not been fiddling with such things when this started happening.
I'm Looking forward to that hand to forehead moment.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »
Ref all home requires homing/limit switches to be installed. The axis will move until it finds the switch, so I believe the behaviour that you are seeing is normal. Of course, hitting the Stop button should cancel the homing operation.

To disable so it isn't accidentally triggered, you can use the "Edit Button Script" function under the Operator menu, then click the ref all home button. Add the command "End" without the quotes to the beginning of the script. When you have installed the switches you can then just remove this line using the same process and homing should work.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:35:56 AM by Sargon »
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »
Thanks Sargon, I'll dig into that, but makes me wonder why Ref all home did work initially. without homing/limit switches.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
I guess I should add that the technique I had been using was to manually set the router bit to home, then turn on the CNC drivers, then hitting ref all home would set all the axis to 0. I'm beginning to understand that Ref all home actually is for homing to home switches ?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
Sounds like you have an X axis home switch enabled, even though you don't have a switch. If no switches are enabled (pins assigned), then it shouldn't move.

You can use Ref All without switches, and it should zero all the axis at there current position. Before I had home switches, I would jog the axis against hard stops and use Ref All. This gave me a repeatable home position, just like having switches.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying - all my machines have homing switches, so I guess I was making an assumption.