Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:52:23 PM

Author Topic: G00 is now faster than allowed by motor tuning settings? WT*?  (Read 2756 times)

G00 is now faster than allowed by motor tuning settings? WT*?
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »
So, I have had mach 3 running a stepper converted hardinge CHNC lathe. Mach has (until today) been only controlling Z and X axis movement.

Today I finally got my collet closer running with a solenoid and a relay board through mach. additionally, I now have a VFD running the spindle through mach using my BOB's 0-10Vdc output. the only other thing I changed was to set up a mechanical estop.

These three new additions work very well, and relaibly. so far.

when I tried to run a working piece of code (created in Bobcad ver 23) I was stunned to find that my G00 moves were now so rapid that the G203V's I run were faulting out.

My motor tuning settings are the same as they always were, but now my G00 is super fast.

If I change my steps per for the Z axis from 40000 (the original always has worked correctly number) to 10000, the G00 moves are still very rapid, but are slow enough to not fault the G203v.

this has led me to believe that somehow, my settings for the max motor speed allowed are all messed up. I dont get it, I thought that the max motor speed (rapid) was a function of the motor settings tab. How can Mach be overriding this?

I tried switching a spare G203V into the system, but the G00 being wildly fast still happened.

I am attaqching 2 xml's one from 10 18 2011 which worked just fine when I saved it, and the other from today that allows me to use the CC, VFD spindle and EStop switch.

I hope you guys can help!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: G00 is now faster than allowed by motor tuning settings? WT*?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 01:49:45 PM »
Something wrong if changing your steps per unit allows you to use the machine as that would alter not just the rapid speed but the distance travelled.
First things frst we need to find out what your steps per unit should be.
What encoder count do you have?
Do you have any gearing between motor and screw?
What is the pitch of the screws?

You also have an A axis enabled but dont have anything set for steps per unit, Velocity, Accel. What are you using the A axis for?

Also what version of Mach are you using?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
Version R3.042.040

A axis was enabled from some time ago, as I was testing a stepper controlled spindle on the lathe. I have since abandoned that idea and have just never unchecked the A axis enabled.

My steps for the X and Z have always been at 40000. the ballscrews run on a 5:1 reduction as the machine originally ran Servos. I retrofitted with steppers.

The system has been running perfectly for several years. Only when I added the hardware hookups and changed settings yesterday did I get a G00 that would cause monstrously fast rapids.

I did try and run the spindle calibration utility several times yesterday unsuxcessfully. I suspect that this somehow caused the issue. I am going to try to reinstall the same version of mach3, and see if that fixes it. 
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
Well, a fresh install of Mach3 and the SS plugin seems to have fixed the problem. I think I somehow corrupted the Mach or SS installation...

Few bugs to work out, but I think I am almost there!

Thanks again Hood!!!!!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 02:57:13 AM »
Sorry, misread, thought you said you had servos.
Good you got it going :)
Hood