Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:40:58 PM

Author Topic: Parallel port PCI, or Parallel port PCI Express?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline gda

•  7 7
    • View Profile
Parallel port PCI, or Parallel port PCI Express?
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:58:01 PM »
I am just now completing putting a new computer together to run a Hermes Vanguard 7000 Engraving machine.  In order to have a Parallel port connection to my new Mother Board, I need to purchase a Paralell Port PCI Card Adaptor.  I see where my Mother Board, which is an Intel, supports PCI Express, along with the older Architecture PCI Slot.
My question is which would allow my Mach 3 software, that I use to run the machine, to  run smoother and faster, the PCI Standard, or the PCI Express?  Will Mach 3 be able to confortably handle the PCI Express?
Thank you, in advance,
gda[/b][/b]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:03:18 PM by gda »

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel port PCI, or Parallel port PCI Express?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 05:07:43 AM »
I am just now completing putting a new computer together to run a Hermes Vanguard 7000 Engraving machine.  In order to have a Parallel port connection to my new Mother Board, I need to purchase a Paralell Port PCI Card Adaptor.  I see where my Mother Board, which is an Intel, supports PCI Express, along with the older Architecture PCI Slot.
My question is which would allow my Mach 3 software, that I use to run the machine, to  run smoother and faster, the PCI Standard, or the PCI Express?  Will Mach 3 be able to confortably handle the PCI Express?
Thank you, in advance,
gda[/b][/b]

It's quite possible that either will work, but it is also quite possible that neither will work.
Those add-in cards are designed to drive a parallel port printer. Most of them do not / can not provide all the pins Mach needs. Sigh - known problem.

Cheers
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:29:20 AM »
I would expect a regular PCI parallel port card to work better than PCIExpress.  PCIExpress is basically a high-speed serial interface, and will inherently introduce jitter into the signals.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
I would recommed using a SmoothStepper motion control board personally. It connects via USB and it can support 2 parallel ports. It can also generate much faster step and direction signals than a parallel port and Mach.

Google it and you'll find all the info on it and lots of places to buy it,

Good luck!
-Kyle-