Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:16:06 AM

Author Topic: Installing a new axis to our VMC and have some questions  (Read 2953 times)

Installing a new axis to our VMC and have some questions
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »
We are adding an axis to our VMC to accommodate for machining a long part we are making. I have a couple questions to help this project come together smoothly.

Question #1: The table extends passed the side doors of the machine, which will make homing the machine impossible without cutting out a section of the door frame. I have Mach3 home to home switches then back off to the index on the encoder. Is there a way I can set Mach3 to home the machine where it sits when I start it in the morning? I know I will have to touch off my offsets and tools, but if it would save modifying the machine I would like to try that first.

Question #2: I'm getting ready to buy the limit switches for this axis. Can I get away with one limit switch in the middle of the table and wire it to the +/- for that axis? So one switch mounted to the main table and the activators on the new table on each side?

Anything else that you guys can see that might be a problem please let me know.

Thanks for the help :)

Aero
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:45:01 PM by Aeroshade »
Re: Installing a new axis to our VMC and have some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »
#1   Just un-check homing for that axis, then when you reference, that axis will not move and will auto zero if set to do so.

#2   Yes, sure can.

Russ
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
Great. TY Overloaded, it seemed like I would be able to do it!!

Thanks again,

Aero
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »
So I just uncheck the (axis) Home under ports and pins. Then check Auto Zero under Homing/Limits?
Seems to work, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

Aero