Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:15:50 AM

Author Topic: Nesting troubles  (Read 5931 times)

Nesting troubles
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »
I've done a lot of searching etc. but I still can not get the nesting to work correctly.  I put M99 and CR at the bottom of the file.  It's a square part with 1 holes with 3 different diameters and one outside diameter which is 0.7" deep.  The code is created with the nesting wizard and I return to Mach3 run screen there are 2 parts in the table display.  So far so good.

The first part runs great, but when it's done the cross hair moves to the center of the second part and again so far so good.  But as soon as it gets to the center of part #2,  it returns to the center of part #1 and repeats the cut on part #1. 

I have not run this on the mill yet, just simulated in Mach3, version R3.043.050.  Any help would be appreciated.  I must be missing something really simple.

Thanks,
Leland
Regards,
Leland

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Nesting troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:30:29 AM »
Try it cutting air on the mill and see what it does, it could simply be a display thing.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:05:14 PM »
Hood is correct. I have my own advanced nesting wizard that we use on a regular basis. The reason is that the nesting wizard (both mine and the built in one) offsets the parts using G92 (or G52, same result), which changes the location of part home (0,0). Fixture offsets would also have the same result. Mach3 displays the locations on the screen correctly when it is generating the toolpath on screen, but when running it does not take the offsets into account. The same is true if you nest different parts - the display quickly looks messed up as the cuts in this case won't line up at all with the original lines in the display. I don't know of any way to correct this, and after investigating it seems impossible short of having the wizard rewrite the file and avoid using offsets entirely. Too much work for me, since it's only a display issue. One of Mach3's few bugs that can't be worked around, but I haven't mentioned it as I'm hoping Mach4 might correct it. I didn't want to bug Brian with such a trivial matter - I want him to focus on Mach4 because I'm just dying to have all the power and control he keeps teasing us with!

Hope this clears things up.

Chris
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 07:27:36 AM »
Try it cutting air on the mill and see what it does, it could simply be a display thing.

Hood

Thanks Hood.  I'll give it a shot. 
Regards,
Leland
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »
Hood is correct. I have my own advanced nesting wizard that we use on a regular basis. The reason is that the nesting wizard (both mine and the built in one) offsets the parts using G92 (or G52, same result), which changes the location of part home (0,0). Fixture offsets would also have the same result. Mach3 displays the locations on the screen correctly when it is generating the toolpath on screen, but when running it does not take the offsets into account. The same is true if you nest different parts - the display quickly looks messed up as the cuts in this case won't line up at all with the original lines in the display. I don't know of any way to correct this, and after investigating it seems impossible short of having the wizard rewrite the file and avoid using offsets entirely. Too much work for me, since it's only a display issue. One of Mach3's few bugs that can't be worked around, but I haven't mentioned it as I'm hoping Mach4 might correct it. I didn't want to bug Brian with such a trivial matter - I want him to focus on Mach4 because I'm just dying to have all the power and control he keeps teasing us with!

Hope this clears things up.

Chris

Thanks Sargon, I have not had a chance to run it on the machine yet like Hood mentioned.  This is the first time I've had a need for nesting and it looks like I'll be getting a lot of work which will require it.
Regards,
Leland
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »
Hood, Sargon,

You guys are correct!

I cut air late last night and it proceeded to cut both pieces. 

Great news for sure.  Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.
Regards,
Leland

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
Glad it worked out for you, its been a long time since I did the nesting but was sure it was just a display thing :)
Hood
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
This nesting is super.   I've run a few sets of parts and works great.  I did make one change though. 

When it was done it went to Z0 then Y0.  I increased the Z to 0.5 before the Y0 in the generated code that nesting created. 

I've never had to use it before.  In a month or so I'll need to do 10 to 16 parts at a time,

Leland
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:47:06 PM by cncmoose »
Regards,
Leland
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 11:28:57 PM »
If there is sufficient demand I can polish up my improved nesting wizard - has some extra options and such for selecting nesting direction, determining how many parts will fit on a given material size, and few other goodies.

Let me know if there's interest.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 03:26:54 AM »
I am sure lots of people would find that handy :)

Hood