Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:07:16 PM

Author Topic: Question about using 5 axis Mastercam X4 with Mach3  (Read 3255 times)

Question about using 5 axis Mastercam X4 with Mach3
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:12:36 AM »
Hello to all:

I have been piecing together knowledge about CAM over the last few years.  I currently have parts modeled in Solidworks that I want to machine using Mastercam X4 and Mach3 using up to 5 axes.  My question is this: 

How does Mach3 know what configuration my machine will be in?  I'm planning on adding a trunnion table/rotary table combo to my 3 axis CNC router to attain 5 total axes; I know there are different combinations/configurations for 5 axis machines, which is overall why I'm bringing this topic up. 

Does Mastercam write 5 axis code, and then Mach 3 determines how to control my machine by itself (based solely on settings on Mach 3 that I will need to be sure to spec out), or are there settings in Mastercam X4 that I need to be aware of and plan for also?  Thanks in advance for any informed replies!  :)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Question about using 5 axis Mastercam X4 with Mach3
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:19:17 AM »
You actually have to have the correct Post Processor set up in MasterCam to put out the proper GCode for your particular machine.

You'll want to look at the instructions in MasterCam for that info as I'm sure they have a Post Processor program to do this. If not, you'll want to speak to the representative/dealer where you purchased MasterCam to help you with that.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
Re: Question about using 5 axis Mastercam X4 with Mach3
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
Great, thanks for the info, I appreciate it!