Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:31:04 AM

Author Topic: Ethernet SmoothStepper first test  (Read 95442 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Ethernet SmoothStepper first test
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »
Got an Ethernet SmoothStepper  (ESS) the other day from Greg to test out. I messed about with it a bit at home and all seemed fine so today I had a chance to fit it to one of my machines. I decided on the lathe for two reasons, first is lathes will be in a minority of users and secondly I only had one wire to shift.
The reason I needed to shift a wire at all is that the ESS has port 3 similar to ports 1 and 2 and not like the USB SS with only 6 inputs (3 being differential which Iwill  miss :(  ) But the extra I/O of a full port I am sure will be welcomed by most.
Ok so got it set up in no time, all seemed to work fine on a dry run so decided to cut a part I have been doing recently, its a lid for an aluminium housing for use in the North Sea attached to mini subs.
It is 70mm OD and the thread is 60mm x 1.5 pitch and hole inside is 45mm ID 44mm deep.
Came out perfect so I was happy.
Will be testing a bit more in the next few days but not expecting any issues :)

Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: Ethernet SmoothStepper first test
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
I got an Ethernet SmoothStepper from Greg, too. I have it on a BP clone with 4 axis, X/Y, Z quill, A knee, servos. It was pretty straightforward to setup. I was on a USB SmoothStepper. I installed an Intel PCI 10/100/1000 NIC, set it up per Greg's suggestion for Static IP on 10.9.9.8, subnet 255.255.255.0. The ESS is preset for 10.9.9.9, but CAN be changed. The ESS writes a new section to the Mach3 XML, so it takes a restart to get that going. You'll need to re-setup your SS config settings, or at least check them and restart. Greg is working on a smoother transition for UPGRADERS from USB SS here. I run Windows 7 32 bit, and I THINK I had to disable the Windows Firewall to get the ESS setup, but I'm not certain of the steps I was taking so I'm not absolutely certain I couldn't have gotten thru it without turning off the firewall. In any case, I have the Windows Firewall enabled now, as normal and everything is working fine.

I did NOT try to set this up by simply plugging it into my home network, like on a switch or directly to the router. I have it running on it's own separate network/subnet. This seems the best way to do this, and it's what Greg seems to recommend.

All in all, a great looking new and more noise tolerant SmoothStepper.

Tom
--
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:52:50 PM »
Good to hear its working fine for you as well. I have been using and testing quite a bit the last few days and have not managed to make it fall over yet which is impressive. I deliberately faulted a servo to see what would happen and I got a Run Out Of Data message but unlike the USB SS all I had to do was reset and re-home (in case I had lost position) and I was back on track. With the USB SS I would have needed to restart Mach to recover from that.
 I have been running at the full 4KHz communication frequency and feedhold is very good :)
 I am liking this ESS very much and only wish someone would come up with a BOB that used all 3 ports of the ESS and had differential output option for step/dir, also a few differential inputs for index and maybe encoders and then the rest of the I/O capable of 24v. Oh and a couple of analogue inputs as well would be nice ;D May have to try and make something up like that for myself.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:05:47 AM »
The new ESS has the same footprint as the old one, so upgrading is easy.  I am not sure there is a real need to a 3 port BOB, as it can plug to existing 2 port boards and a ribbon cable can be used for 2nd port.  Let's say you want to connect a pendant, a breakout board with +24vdc logic, or just expanding I/Os.

This picture is of the board connected to a C32 board.

I tested most of the functions, and all tested ok.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13:10 AM »
Wow, cool news! I'm running an USB SS now and am mostly happy with it.
Please tell Greg to write a proper complete manual for it as I know that many are hesitant to buy one because of the apparent lack of support, unfinished product etc.
I will buy one for my next machine when you guys give it a green light!

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:34:37 PM »
The new ESS has the same footprint as the old one, so upgrading is easy.  I am not sure there is a real need to a 3 port BOB, as it can plug to existing 2 port boards and a ribbon cable can be used for 2nd port.  Let's say you want to connect a pendant, a breakout board with +24vdc logic, or just expanding I/Os.

This picture is of the board connected to a C32 board.

I tested most of the functions, and all tested ok.

Arturo Duncan

Arturo, I THINK you meant use a ribbon cable for the 3rd port, at least that shows on your pic. But where does it go? To some other BOB, so one would need 2 BOBS, one for port 1/2, and one for port 3? I think what Hood was wanting was a single BOB that would use all 3 ports.

Tom
--
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »
Or more precisely a BOB that has 3 ports, 24v I/O for most things, 5v differential outputs for Step/Dir, 5 Differential inputs for Index, MPG  and maybe a few encoders and the icing would be a couple of analogue inputs ;D

Think I will have to make one up myself if I get brave enough ;D
Hood
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »
I am very aware of how each person has these specific needs for features in a BOB.  That is why I ended up with more than 15 different BOBs. The nice thing of the 3rd port, is that it enables further customizing without sacrificing other features.  What you want is all very doable with the boards we currently have.

Arturo Duncan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
Arturo,
 could you possibly point me to the Bobs you have with the differential outs/Ins and 24v I/O?
Hood
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 02:56:38 PM »
Hood,

Here is the breakout category: http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=33.

This one has +24vdc outputs:http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=245. Nice for LPT3 on the ESS.

Do not have the differential to single ended converter, and I think it is a must to have, since it was removed from the new ESS and I am sure some will want to have it for connecting the spindle encoder on lathes.

Arturo Duncan