Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 01:52:12 AM

Author Topic: little direction please ( I need a know it all here)  (Read 4489 times)

little direction please ( I need a know it all here)
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
I'm looking to convert my lagun anilam 1100 controller over to a machine that can do Mach3 and EMC2. I know most of you are asking why would you want to do that, but I am new a CNC operation completely and I'd rather try both formats and see which works best for me. The computer side of things both require the similar hardwear so I'm not worried about that.

I understand both programs are have motion control capabilities, however I am looking for a controller card that would work with both systems like ( smooth stepper, mesa electronics, gaili, vital systems, ect)

here is what I have and want to keep

as much of the stock anilam system as possible
-servo motors which I believe are 150 volts at 10-15 amps of current. I also need another motor and driver to convert from 2 axis to three axis ( I have the quill drive with a nema 34 motor plate) so I would like another motor with the same specs as my other two
power supply
I would switch the encoders to digital if needed.

Question 1. Which driver or if replaced all three driver cards would to recommend? I know the Viper 200 will work with higher voltage servos, but aslo I read that Mesa makes some good high voltage drivers
Question 2 Thoughts on changing encoders to digital what benefits will I gain?
Question 3 I'd also like to put a VFD on the machine any recommendation on a good sensor less vector drive set up?
Question 4 should I just switch the servos out to lower voltage motors?

Please keep in mind I would like the hardware to run both EMC and Mach3, my understanding of all this is still in the very infant stages sorry if this all readys redemptory to all you, I just need some gaps filled. I am assuming the thing to do would be buy a motion controller that is Mach3 supported and just allow the PC to run EMC without a controller?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: little direction please ( I need a know it all here)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »
What response have you recieved from the EMC followers to all your questions?
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »
Dont know what hardware EMC supports so cant say what would be dual purpose. I believe the mesa are EMC supported but not sure how close the plugin for Mesa is for use with Mach.

I would definitely keep the servos, look at the Dugong drives from www.cncdrives.com only heard good about them and you can get them in the USA from Arturo at cnc4pc.com.

You will need encoders unless you use the original amps and something like the Galil or DSPMC but whether EMC supports them I dont know.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
thanks guys I have not expressed my thoughts to and EMC followers I figured there were people where who have used both, I will post over there as well. When you say new encoders your saying digital?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »
What type of encoders do you have at the moment? I was presuming they were resolvers rather than encoders.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »
I am not too sure what ever comes stock on an anilam 1100 system

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »
Dont know anything about Anilam I am afraid. If its encoders then there is a good chance they will work but if its resolvers then you will need to keep the amps and get one of the controllers that support analogue outputs (Galil, DSPMC, Kflop/Kanalog)  No idea though whether they will work with EMC.
Unless of course you get new encoders and drives.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
I am looking for a working hard drive for an Anilam 1100. Mine died, if I could get hold of a hard drive image that would be great, or borrow a drive so I can copy it.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 01:04:39 PM »
The only way I can see this working is to use the LPT port version of each software, Mach3 and EMC2. You would need to use step direction servo amps rated for your machine motors.

You don't HAVE to connect either one to real motors to test the PROGRAM interface they both will run without being actually hooked up to a machine.

As to trying to compare each while trying to learn each (;-)  THAT will be a tough one. In some ways they are alike and some ways MILES apart.

(;-) TP