Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:59:18 AM

Author Topic: Jogging question  (Read 4244 times)

Jogging question
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »
I installed Mach3 (turn profile), complete with the license file in a newer "XP" box to replace an older system which has become inreliable.  I have been busy entering "ports & Pins" data as well as motor tuning, etc... from written notes written down from an earlier installation.

I have a new "situation" I have never seen before.  My hope is that this condition is an obvoius one that others have seen before...

First of all, the main working screen the Axis Position DROs cannot be "zero-ed" by clicking on either [Zero] button. Furthermore, even though I can click on the display boxes and they will highlight slightly, I cannot overtype the values in either DRO.

Fast & slow JOG functions works using the cursor keys, and the "X" & "Z"  DROS will increment/decrement as expected, also the toolpost moves as expected
When I engage Jog Mode to "Jog Inc" (single-step) the stepper motors do not move and the DROs do not change value.
It is nearly impossible to properly place the cutting tool at the correct starting point and have the DROs reflect the proper coordinates.

Any suggestions from anyone?  (I have attached a screen shot on the primary screen)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:27:20 PM by TunerTom »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Jogging question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
Can you attach your xml, that will be the easiest way to hopefully find the problem.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
It'a at work.  I will get it tomorrow & bring it home.  I will sent it as soon as I can...
Thanks, in advance...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »
Ok, will wait for that but in the mean time make sure you are not in machine coords as that would make you think you can not zero the DROs.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:42:41 PM »
I'll look for that in the morning.
Will advise upon my return,
Thanks.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:54:04 AM »
OK,  I discovered that the XML file was completely corrupted. The file was hardly readable... so I started over from scratch and replaced my User Profile from scratch, once again.  Now the single-step function works properly, but there is a new problem...

On the X-Axis, Fast Jog, Slow Jog, and Single-step all work just fine in both directions.
On the Z-Axis, Fast Jog, Slow Jog, and Single-step all work, but no matter which (left/right) cursor key you operate, the toolpost will move only towards the left. Same holds true if you type on G-code on the command line... The tool post only moves toward the left, no matter what the instruction states. The only way I can bring the tool post back to the right is to turn the stepper-motors off and "hand-crank" the Lead Screw.

I am enclosng my XML file, in case that might help.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »
You might double check the integrity of the connections of the DIR conductors.
The SW might be changing state but not physically getting through to the drive.
Just something to look for.
Russ
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »
OMG, How could I be so dumb?
The DIR lead for the Z-Motor , where it attaches to the Parallel interface card was loose.
How could I be so dumb??

Thanks everyone for your help.
Case closed.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »
I wouldn't say "dumb", very easily overlooked.
Just glad it was something simple ..... or I would likely have been of no help. :)
Regards,
Russ
 :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »
Definitely not Dumb, these things happen and there are so many variables things get overlooked.
Hood