Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 05:42:10 AM

Author Topic: How in the world do you get Mach3 to talk to this thing?  (Read 5465 times)

How in the world do you get Mach3 to talk to this thing?
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
I have a PoKeys 55U.  I've installed the config software, configured pins 1-10 as inputs, and they work correctly, using the digital I/O monitor in the config utility.  So, the hardware is properly configured, and working fine.  I then installed the Mach3 plug-in, which does install the plug-in, so it shows up in Mach3.  I get the PoKeys I/O monitor and configuration options under Plug-in Control.  But Mach3 seems blissfully unaware of any PoKeys I/O.  The I/O monitor shows, seemingly randomly, either a random assortment of pins active, or ALL pins active, and does not change when the inputs are changed.  I've tried configuring a single input as an OEM trigger input, and as a Jog input, and Mach3 does not respond at all to either.  I've tried setting all 55 pins a ULED inputs, and still get no response on the I/O monitor, nor from Mach3.  What is the trick???  The documentation is about as clear as mud, and I'm about to toss the thing....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
Re: How in the world do you get Mach3 to talk to this thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »
OK, I uninstalled everything, re-installed, and now it's behaving rationally.  Why?  In any case, there is (apparently) a newer plug-in on the Artsoft site.  Should I use that instead of the one from the PoKeys site?

I'm going to be hooking up about 40 switches to the PoKeys.  The only ways I can see to make them do most functions would be to map them to ULEDs, then have either a brain or macro-pump to monitor them all, and take the appropriate actions (and there's no way I'm using brains on that many inputs....).  Is there a better way?  In most cases, I will need each button press to either do an OEMButton command, or execute an M-macro.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 04:56:28 PM »
Ray, if your only brining in 40 pins, that activate buttons, it would be best to use a brain.......  just dont go over the 50 run limit per brain.
also, you could if you want, put it in the macropump, OR, one of the new cyclic Macros (see the new vb manual),
or a plugin, the plugins (the old ones), are the ones I used to maintain. Brian is doing a new one that is more tied in to the internals of mach3.

Scott
fun times
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »
Scott,

Doesn't the brain editor still have that ridiculous limitation that to modify any brain, you have to delete, and re-enter all subsequent ones?  I tried to use brains once, several years ago, and found the editor to be so buggy and limiting that I have up, after wasting hours and hours re-entering things.  A macropump would at least be simple.

What's the deal with the new plug-on on the ArtSoft site?  Is that one better than the one from the PoKeys site?  It seems to be about a year newer.  Can I just drop it into the plugins directory in place of the other?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »
The one on the PK site, is my old plugin, it is still ok to use that one for USB PKs.

the new one that Brian is doing is still in the Alfa state, almost beta.
it will handle the PKE as well as the PKU.
fun times
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:08:52 AM »
Scott,

For the USB PoKeys, is there any functional difference in the new plug-in?  IOW - Should I use the new plug-in, or just keep the one I have?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »
up to you, if it works for you, don't fix it........
fun times
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:59:18 AM »
OK, I uninstalled everything, re-installed, and now it's behaving rationally.  Why?  In any case, there is (apparently) a newer plug-in on the Artsoft site.  Should I use that instead of the one from the PoKeys site?

I'm going to be hooking up about 40 switches to the PoKeys.  The only ways I can see to make them do most functions would be to map them to ULEDs, then have either a brain or macro-pump to monitor them all, and take the appropriate actions (and there's no way I'm using brains on that many inputs....).  Is there a better way?  In most cases, I will need each button press to either do an OEMButton command, or execute an M-macro.

Regards,
Ray L.
Hi HimyKabibble, Im in the same boat as you you were.  I has a Pokey 55 with the latest firmware (v2.1.21).  I have a CNC4PC motherboard with a M22 output board on port 3 and a M21 input board on port 1.  In pokeys, I can see the input fine, and set the output with out issue (The pin numbers are realy strange for some reason) But I can't get Mach 3 (Latest download) with the pokeys pluggin to see it.  I unistalled and reinstalled it with no luck.  I am running on a win 7 box.  What steps did you go thru to uninstall and reinstall? did you reinstall pokeys config software?  Delete the mach 3 directory? All I'm trying to configure is X(port 10,pin 28&29) , Y(port 10,pin 30&31), and Z(port 10,pin 32&33) motor.  Once works I'll work on limiter switch inputs.

Thanks,
Chris