Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:25:35 AM

Author Topic: Phidgets USB and Mach3, need a Post Processor  (Read 12903 times)

Phidgets USB and Mach3, need a Post Processor
« on: October 12, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out how to make a post processor for a 1062 4 motor controller manufactured by Phidgets.

I really have no idea where to begin so any help undertanding how the post works is greatly appreciated.
Also is it even possable to have a post program for a USB device?
I will be posting any finds here and on my website at http://www.cncstuff.com and you can email me at admin@cncstuff.com

thanks for your help and time.

CNC Phidgets "Post processor"
CNC stuff

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Phidgets USB and Mach3, need a Post Processor
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »
Same as the other three posts on the controller your on your owne.

We are also committed to providing clear and simple explanations and instruction.
That is from your site, and just must ask .......
How in the world are you going to support your buisness if you have no idea what you getting into.

Here is a link for a one on one support. You may want make a request there but I must say that the support may involve a fee.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/board,18.0.html

RICH
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:20:14 PM by RICH »
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »
How do you know what I have a handle on and don't have a handle on?
I maybe very good at the bsuiness end of things, maybe I am a mechanical person, or maybe just learning, just a student.
Besides where did I indicate that I was planning to run a business using the information I requested?
What busness do I have to support? A website that cost me a little time and less than $50 to start?

Besides what is wrong with giving a person some direction?
Since you are the kind of person that exploits peoples ignorance and because you don't want to share any information I have decided to.

For people just getting into all of this here are some facts you should be aware of:

The DB25 and COM ports are called Parallel ports, you can use USB to interface your computer to the outside world thanks to a little IC (intigrated Circuit) known as a TDIF chip, it makes your computer think the USB is a DB25 or COM port.

If you are learning how hardware interacts with software stick with Arduino over Phidgets. Arduino provides you with a wonderfull GUI (Graphical User Interface) to upload a "Sketch" witten in C++ Language, it acts as a IDE (Integrated Design Environment), Phidgets does not do this, you do not write to the processor, in Arduino's case they use Atmega IC's and use the IDE/ GUI described above to write to the Atmega, you can do it over and over agian. The Arduino can also act as your micro processor to drive a Mill, Lathe, or even a 3D printer.
You also want to stay away from DB25 style boards because most computers today don't have them.

It is highly suggested that you start with a free program called Vb 2010 from Microsoft, you can also use Visual C++ both are very good to start with, you will find all the literature you need online and if you can't just leave a message on my website at http://www.whatisacnc.com I will do everything I can to help you work threw the problem (unlike other people).
Also if your new and want to have your own Milling machine but just don't have much money, build a RepRap, it will teach you just about everything you would ever want to know about motion control.

Rich, I was looking for some simple direction not some link to a person I have to pay to get the run around.

Back on track, how does a person go about writing a MPW in VB 2010?
How do I write a plugin for Mach3 so I can use Arduino instead of RepRap firmware?
How do I write a plugin for Mach3 so I can use Arduino a USB Micro-Controller like the fellow from Pokeys did?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:07:58 AM »
CROB09,
Besides what is wrong with giving a person some direction?
Absolutely nothing and hopefully some of the 1000's of users on this site will respond.

Rich, I was looking for some simple direction not some link to a person I have to pay to get the run around.

Since there were no replies to a number of your posts, requesting one on one support for developement help was an option
given for your consideration.

you are the kind of person that exploits peoples ignorance and because you don't want to share any information
The requested info you seek is not my expertise so can't give what I don't have.

Relative to your perception of me........time spent reconcilling it would be better spent helping others.

RICH

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
Ah Rob - where should I start? The very title of your thread shows you don't even understand your own question. Having looked through your other threads that seems to be a common theme - they don't mean anything - the words are (mostly) right - but not in that order.

FWIW if you're going to give people "the facts" - try to get them right - it generally reads better.

The DB25 and COM ports are called Parallel ports, you can use USB to interface your computer to the outside world thanks to a little IC (intigrated Circuit) known as a TDIF chip, it makes your computer think the USB is a DB25 or COM port.

There is so much wrong in just that ONE sentence it could be used as a case study - for what I'm not entirely sure.

After that you're just hurling "buzzwords" about with no real meaning or context.

As for slagging off RICH that's just plain unfair. When you have 4700+ posts like he has, probably at least 90% of which are giving help to other people, then maybe you can get on your high horse.

And PLEASE stop pushing your website until it says something useful.

Ian
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:11:18 AM by stirling »
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:13:43 AM »
So what?
It takes time to learn things and I was asking a question to begin with, hence I don't understand. I never stated I know everything, and on the same line nothing I stated was fully incorrect.
What is wrong with just explaining things? Why do you people operating these forums just slam people?
The TFID IC makes the USB a parallel port, USB works by sending pulses to a micro controller that has a program installed, that program takes the packets sent into "High" and "Low" "0" and "1"'s and outputs that in the form of pulses.
A DB25 cable just sends pulses to either a micro or direct to the driver boards.
The software that you use sees both ports as a parrallel port AKA COM port.

Now if I am wrong explain why, help out people rather than just dodging the question.

How do you write a Post for the 1062? 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »
How do you write a Post for the 1062?
I don't know, I believe what you are really asking is ......
How to utilize Mach using an external motion control device and what is required to develop and make functional that device?
Correct me if I am wrong.
RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 07:13:16 AM »
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out how to make a post processor for a 1062 4 motor controller manufactured by Phidgets.

Hi Rob,

It may help if you explain, in simple terms, exactly what you want to do or achieve with this so called “post-processor”.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »
I suppose no one has an answer, and maybe it is because of the way I asked it or the approach I am taking. I have decided not to use Phidgets with Mach3 and write a VB.NET program that works independently to Mach.
All I wanted to do was use Phidgets as my motion control electronics, that's it.
Since Phidgets has it's own library and it interfaces via USB .Vs DB or COM and it's a micro I figured someone would know how to use it.
I would also settle for Arduino as an alternative but no one even suggests solutions leading me to believe no one has any.
Other than Pokeys no USB device will work with Mach3, I find that annoying to say the least given the future of machine control isn't a regular parallel port, instead most people use micro-controllers like the Arduino, it's still recognized as a parallel port because of the TFID IC, but it has brains.

Another way for me to ask this question...... How do I intercept the data being sent to the parallel port from Mach3 and send the packets to Arduino? How should the "Sketch" be written to accept the packets that are sent?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »
I've answered this several times, in several places.
You need to write a Mach3 plugin for the device you want to use.

Fwiw, there are several USB devices which work with Mach3. It's up to the hardware developer to write a plugin for Mach3 to use their hardware.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html