Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:25:41 PM

Author Topic: Conect 121 lathe retro  (Read 53233 times)

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Re: Conect 121 lathe retro
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2012, 02:43:05 AM »
Here's a little thought provoking issue for you.
With the (pretty heavy) X-axis motor mounted on the rear, will there be noticeable movement/vibration issues when using a front mounted cutting tool?

I'm probably over thinking it (I'm stuck in a **** hotel and never slept much last night!), but with such a large motor on the rear, it's going to cause the whole carriage/cross slide assembly to tilt towards the rear due to any play/flex. When you then take a large enough cut with a front mounted tool, it's going to counteract the weight of the motor, and the assembly will tilt to the front.
The only reason I've been thining about it, is I want to upgrade the x-axis motor, which involves a heavier motor, and moving it further rearwards to allow room for a bearing block and a proper bearing block.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2012, 03:03:52 AM »
The motor I am putting on is an Allen Bradley Y-1002, it is 40mm square and 70mm long and weighs 0.5Kg so I dont think I have to worry about anything like that. If the gib is adjusted properly then even a heavy motor should not affect things anyway.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
Hi Hood,

Have you had a chance to test the threading yet? Really the only thing I am waiting on before I buy one. I will go with the analgue version though as I mentioned to you earlier.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »
Afraid not Dan, things happened too fast with the Chiron, had to get rid of two machines and get the Chiron in all within a week and the workshop is still a mess so cant get in to work on the Conect. I have the X motor now but as its a 4500rpm motor I am going to redesign the X mounting and make it belt drive with 2:1 reduction. Will be a week or two at the earliest before I get to that stage.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »
OK. Please post when you have some tests made.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2012, 01:32:22 PM »
Managed to spend a few hours on the Conect today and got a motor mount almost made up. I have temporarily used some spacers to seperate the two plates but will be machining a piece of 40mm thick Alu to make a complete housing, well thats assuming I can find some at the right price ;D If not then I have some 20mm thick that will do, will just have to make it two part.
 Hope to get some time in the next day or two to get the motor wired up and I can then do some testing of the CSMIO for threading.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »
Here is the first tests of the conect running both axis. I am simulating a thread in this video and whilst it is running I am overriding the spindle. The Z seems to track the spindle speed closely but only actually cutting a thread would show whether it is correct, I still have toolposts etc to alter before I can do that. I think there is still a delay on the X at pullout but again only cutting a thread would show that definitely one way or the other. If it is I hope that can be sorted as having an annular groove at the end of a thread is not always the ideal situation, fingers crossed ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC1PK6uD26U

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
Hi Hood,

Thanks for the video. Z axis tracking seems good, but it definitely stops at the end of each pass. However, I can't tell if it stops after the X pulls out or before.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
Dan it is hard to tell even in the flesh. Sometimes you think it has pulled out others you think it hasnt. I am tending to think the latter unfortunately but even if it is I am sure it can be fixed relatively easily. I talked to Brian about it a while back and he said  they had done it in the Galil no problems so the resync with Mach was after the X pullout so it should be possible with the CSMIO as well with just some alterations to the plugin. Hopefully I will get a test done soon cutting some real threads and will have a definitive answer to what its doing.
Hood.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
Is it something that Brian has to take care of?

You mentioned this to CS Lab a few months back so I wonder why they haven't taken care of this yet. Especially when you say it's a simple one.

Dan