Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:32:36 AM

Author Topic: Tool radius compensation  (Read 3064 times)

Offline bw

•  29 29
    • View Profile
Tool radius compensation
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
Hi,
Say I am interpolating a hole that should be 1 inch diameter.  When it is done the diameter is .999 what would be the best way to compensate for the difference?  I have tried several things but short of changing it in my cam program I am not having much luck.

Thanks

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Tool radius compensation
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:17:40 PM »
I t most likey is a tooling or machine riggidity problem. BUT the corrective actions  are

1 recam it with a different tool diam to compensate.
2 recam it and use tool comp code then do the comp from the tool table values
3 Use the Scale options on XY to enlarge finished hole
4 Sharper tools?
5 change feeds and speeds
6 use a cleanup pass to comp for flexure

Just a thought(;-) TP

Offline bw

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
It’s a tooling issue, that was just an example but it’s a special made tool I use all the time and when I resharpen it, of course the diameter changes ever so slightly.  It would be easy if I could just change the values in the tool table in mach but they don’t do anything when I do.  Not sure how to set it up so I can do it that way.

It's a long program so changing that one setting would save a lot of time and tweeks to the code.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
HI, Mach cannot automatically do tool comp on its own. The tool comp process MUST be programmed into the Gcode itself and the tool tables kept updated each time a tool is changes out or resharpened in your case.

Using tool comp the MACHINE compensates for the change in diameter from the programmed values. IF the tool is now smaller it moves closes to the work to follow the profile. If larger then it moves way from the programmed value of the profile.

SOme CAM programs can not do machine tool comp they only do the tool compensation in creating the original cut profile base on a tool size you specify.

You may be able to SET the TC option in your CAM and use it on the machine.

(;-) TP

Offline bw

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »
Thanks,
I will look into that.