Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:19:24 AM

Author Topic: Westamp AC Servo Driver, What motor?  (Read 7535 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Re: Westamp AC Servo Driver, What motor?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »
NosmoKing
Again many thanks.
At least I'm getting an education. I think, I say this with fingers crossed, I may have found that the drive was designed to be used with some of the GE Fanuc motors. The manual has the wiring diagram's with the control cables and matching pins and the number off and design, only seem to match up with those motors.
I may be on to something but then i could be totally of the track. The problem now is that all the motors I am looking at are in the 110v range not much good for 240v input unless we opt for a step down transformer, that's just opening another can of worms.
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »
Do you mean the Westamp drive with Fanuc motor?
Be aware that Fanuc use a unique type of commutation, they use a four bit code that they extrapolate a sine wave from.
There is a poster on the Cnczone. Jim Elson? I believe that has made a convertor, other than that the encoder has to be replaced with a hall commutation type.
I have a Fanuc servo motor on my lathe, but I changed the encoder out in order to use it on an AMC BLDC  drive..
N.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:31:18 PM by NosmoKing »

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 03:11:28 AM »
NosmoKing
I really am not sure what I mean, but you just gave me another idea. I might put a post on CNCzone as well, I am sure there are other people out there using the westamp driver that can point me the right way.
I was simply going on the plug connection as shown in the drawing in the manual. shows a 19pin plug in a certain configuration and the only motors I can see with the same configuration on the encoders is the Fanuc. All the others are different. I suppose my biggest thing at the moment is to match a motor to the drive, then from drive to Mach I could use a pixie card.
Again Many thanks for your help.
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 03:43:11 AM »
As has been mentioned the personality module may pose a problem. I know the first drives I bought had this and the personality modules had to be programmmed for each motor and there was no info on how to do that or what equipment/software was needed. I did find somewhere that would do it for me at £50 a pop but that was more than I paid for the drives and motors ;D The drives I had were matched to the motors (in the module) but  one of the drives module corrupted itself while I was testing things out so I figured as I could be constantly paying for rewrites it was not worth it. The more modern drives I use all can be configured from within software on a PC and all that is needed is a serial connection.

Hood
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
I was simply going on the plug connection as shown in the drawing in the manual. shows a 19pin plug in a certain configuration and the only motors I can see with the same configuration on the encoders is the Fanuc.
Katoh

The plug P2 shows the use of standard Hall commutation which Fanuc does not use.
Also there as a few different types and resolutions of  encoders used by Fanuc, differential, absolute, and 1v p/p sine wave which requires a special interface.
The motor part number reveals to type used.
Another thing to watch for is many Fanuc servo's have a tapered shaft.
N.

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »
HI Hood
Yes I can see now when you advised me prior to buy a motor and drive as a match. Its just a shame not to use this drive, but if its going to cost me more than what it's worth plus the added headache of interfacing, I may just have to run up the white flag and admit defeat. I sent a message to Ormec, maybe they can help or give some advice but I am yet to hear back from them.
The funny thing is there is a serial connection on this drive called P11 but there is no reference to it on the manual. Actually I think that manual is for an earlier drive, looks the same but this one has a few extra bits.
I will bite my time for now, you never know something may come up.
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 09:08:57 AM »
NosmoKing
Ok well that goes against my Fanuc theory. So we cant judge a servo by the plugs it uses, it was worth a try.
Hopefully fingers crossed I will hear back form Ormec, in the meantime a little more study.

Thanks
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
If its a serial connector, most likely it is for RS232 to program the personality module, with the right s/w of course.
N.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 09:17:24 AM »
Possibly the serial can be used for full programming of the module but I know on the Osai (rebadged ElectroCraft) drives I had it was only possible to change the tuning parameters and not the motor setup parameters via serial, they were on the module and not accessible except for read only . Hyperterminal was used to talk to the drive for this.

Best bet is to get the correct manual or hopefully someone will reply to your email with some positive news.

Hood