Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:57:15 AM

Author Topic: New to CNC, seeking sources  (Read 5784 times)

New to CNC, seeking sources
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:04:04 PM »
Hello all

Since I am VERY new into CNC   :o - and was surfing quite a bit to get information - It seems there is so much info I have no idea where to start from.

Since I will be using a small router with Mach3 - can you guys recommend a good book, manual or e-book that explains CNC programing with the system matched best for Mach3 ?  (there are CNC numbers starting with "8" - have no idea what they are and which one is suitable for Mach3)

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Isaac

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: New to CNC, seeking sources
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:47:02 AM »
Hi Isaac,

I think we all started at a similar point to where you are right now.
The best form of learning to use Mach3, in my opinion, is "hands on" - start with a simple project and work from there, that way you only learn what you need to know and don't get bogged down with stuff you will never ever use.
As you progress, you will acquire software (each better than the one before) and because each is different that is where the major effort has to be put into the learning process.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:05:59 AM »
Hi Tweakie

Thanks for the info. yes my idea was and is to learn only what I need - so I thought narrowing down the info will make me learn what I need and not waste too much time on what I don't.

I guess you are saying the same but from the other end - cheaper though  ;-)

Cheers

Isaac

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 06:33:02 AM »
explains CNC programing
Purchase CNC Programming Handbook by Smid. The book is excellent, starts from the beginning, and will serve you well.
 You need to understand that there are a number of parts that make up CNC. There is the controlling program ( Mach),
the Gcode, the mechanical / electrical / electronic makeup of the system, computer end and then software. Just need to pick your way through it all
since it's all interrelated relative to your cnc system. There is no shortcut and one just must walk the path to the destination. It is not plug and play.
Have fun.....
RICH
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:07:18 AM »
Thank heaps Rich

I know there are no shortcuts - I am ready and keen to learn - just needed some kind of "jump-start" ideas to make it easier. :-)

Cheers

Isaac

Offline JimG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
You might try downloading the free trial versions of programs like Vectric Cut2d or Cambam.  I started out with Cut2D and it gave me a good start into what was going on.  You can draw your designs in Cut2D or you can import DXF files from a CAD program.  It only cuts pockets and profiles,  so is a bit limited in that way.  You could look at something like Cut3D if you want to do full 3D work but you have to generate your drawings in a separate 3D CAD package then import them.   Messing around with Cut2D is probably a better starter and you can look at the Gcode it generates to give you a good idea of what's going on.

Jim.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »
Hi Jim

Thanks. I will certainly give it a go.

Cheers

Isaac

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
Hi Isacc
As Tweakie said we all started there, and for me its 5 years later and I'm still learning.
Now going back, have you looked at sheetcam, would have to be one of the easiest programs to use.
Do you have anyone close by to you that you can call on, or go and ask some questions to. Face to face and some hands on with someone is the best way to learn, and 99% of our people will only be to happy to help.
If your close to the A.C.T (Australian Capital Territory) Your welcome to come and see me, I can get you started on the basics, once you have that its a lot of self learning from there. not hard at all.
I dont know of any books or tutorials for beginners, Most of them simply relate to a given product and assume you know the basics.
Ask around you would be surprised how many people you can find in your area who use Mach.
Good Luck
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 02:19:41 AM »
Hi Katoh

Thank you for your reply and kind assistance.

I am still building my CNC router (final stages though) then I will hook Mach3 to it - went through all the videos and manuals - I guess I have the very basic idea how to start jogging around.

I have seen sheetcam  and also looking at cut2D (very easy and does exactly what I need at this stage - to help with the programming. Saying that - I wish to learn to work with G-codes andunderstand more. This is very interesting new area for me.

Thanks again and if I will stumble on a hard nut to crack - I know you guys will get me through it.. :-)

Cheers

Isaac

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 03:34:40 AM »
Isaac
 You are very welcome.
Cut 2d is a good programme, I use photoVcarve and I must say I have had some great results. Do not limit yourself to just 2D. I started the same way, and before I new it was in 4 axis machining and doing it well.
Again if you have someone near go and see them, nothing like face to face and hands on.
One other thing to remember, You will at sometime have a crash, and cutters will be broken and jobs ruined. Don't worry we have all been there. Just try and figure out what went wrong and where, 99.99999% its operator error.
I.E: Sh*t in Sh*t out.
For a beginner, I know this is a bit long winded but taught me a lot, have a dumby version on a computer and run your code, you will soon see if things go horrible wrong.
Good Luck
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh