Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:39:07 AM

Author Topic: adding second parallel port?  (Read 11652 times)

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Re: adding second parallel port?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 11:55:17 PM »
Cheers mate.

I'll give that a go this evening and report back. I'll check the voltages off those pins and pins 10 - 13 and 15 and see what I get.

Reading another thread in another forum seems as though some parallel boards are a bit low on their output voltage...

Thanks,

Shuey

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 07:49:03 AM »
Ok, So I re-entered the port number again and initially it had no obvious affect on the port, bearing in  mind I was aiming for pins 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 as inputs. I unchecked and recheched the box activating "pins 2-9 as inputs" and pressed apply ...no luck. Tired AC07 to same deal...

I decided to resolder one wire to pin 15 to see if that pin worked... And it DID... leads me to believe that there may be the way I have configed things. Then resoldered the wiring to 10, 11,12,13 & 15 for port 2 and they all worked... tried it in port 1 with these same pins 10-13 and 15 and it worked....

SOOOO... Apart from checking the "pin 2-9 as inputs" box is there anything else to configure to have port 2 pins 2-9 as inputs?

Regards,

Shuey

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 08:09:12 AM »
Just a thought. What kind of cable are you hooking to the port? Is it a straight thru? I don't think a standard printer cable is.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 08:38:37 AM »
Cable is Cat 6 Solid core UTP Network Cable 23 AWG... from the 25 pin connector to a junction box... Not quite sure what a straight thru is... sorry

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 09:51:33 AM »
Straight thru means pin one on one end = pin one on the other.Pin 2=2 etc. I'm not referring to the cables inside the PC. I'm speaking of the cable that plugs into the DB 25 connector on your parallel port card. I don't know what you are hooking to the end of this cable. What ever it is, it will dictate weather or not the pin out on your cable will work. Most breakout boards I've seen require a straight Thur cable. None of this may pertain to you yet. If you are checking the signal at the parallel port itself, don't let any thing I've said slow you down. If you are checking the signal on the opposite end of a cable that is plugged into your DB 25 connector, check the pin out of your cable. I have seen a few get bit by this one.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Hood

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 12:00:46 PM »
It may be your port settings, I had a PCI card that I couldnt change the setting for and couldnt get 2 to 9 as inputs, I just made my motherboards port as Port 2 and used the PCI as port 1.
Hood

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 06:07:56 PM »
Chaoticone,

Ah...I understand. I'm using a solderable 25pin plug so I can solder into the positions that I want and not want to use if that makes sense... rather than a pre-made cable... Good thinking though.

Hood,

I'll give your philosophy a try later on and report back the results.

Thanks for taking time out for your thoughts and experience.

Worst case scenario... inputs from port 1&2, pins 10-13 &15 from both = 10 inputs... just not quite as tidy.

Regards,

Shuey