Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:36:00 PM

Author Topic: reset tripping randomly  (Read 3671 times)

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
reset tripping randomly
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
hi
i upgraded a bridgeport boss 8 and it has a few problems first i will describe the setup then the problems.
installed 1 smooth stepper used port 3 for mpg
installed 1 cnc4pc c23 dual port board
installed 3 viper 200 drives
installed 1 2hp vfd from automation direct
installed 1 mpg2 pendant from cnc4pc
i checked and reused the orriginal drive power supply.main estop is hardware estop kills power to machine and notifies mach.
all signal wires are shielded with the shield connected only on one side.
installed capacitors .01 mfd on all inputs
modified the orriginal brains from cnc4pc to run the pendant "all i really did was remove lines that apply to other pendants as this pendant doesnt have extra switches for more axises"
machine was running
had problem with spindle forward and reverse i believe i have solved this however mach wont switch between high and low by itself i need to change to the settings page and change it manually
now i try to mill and the machine will cut a random amount and stop then reset will flash. mach doesnt have an error so i dont know what is tripping the reset. also the viper drives have led's and reset switches hooked up these are not tripped. the vfd is not tripped.
so the main question is what would cause mach 3 to trip reset randomly
thank you

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: reset tripping randomly
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:13:08 PM »
Bridgeports are famous for having a very sensitive Z upper Limit switch in the quill housing. Certain vibration combinations will set it off.

Are you getting any error messages in the messsage bar OTHER than just the estop resetting? 

I would approach it systematically undoing one thing at a time until you find the problem.

Just a thought(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »
Have a look at the SS Diagnostics and see if there is a clue there. Sounds like you have some noise issues so set some filtering and see if that helps but keep the numbers low.
Hood

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:30:11 AM »
thanks
i am replacing the upper switch and then if i need will set som filtering
question hood when you say keeps the numbers low what area would you start in .50 or ?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:06:19 AM »
installed capacitors .01 mfd on all inputs

Mark,

The capacitors you have fitted between the switch inputs and ground need to be 0.1uF if they are to have any effect on preventing electrical noise.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:28 AM »
thanks
i am replacing the upper switch and then if i need will set som filtering
question hood when you say keeps the numbers low what area would you start in .50 or ?

1.43 if I remember is the min amount for SS filter so up in multiples of that, I wouldnt go any higher than 10. BTW you dont need to enter exact multiples of 1.43 as the SS will round off to the nearest.

Hood