Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:31:09 AM

Author Topic: 3d laser scanning using art's plugin - still alive?  (Read 15134 times)

Offline jwt

•  4 4
    • View Profile
3d laser scanning using art's plugin - still alive?
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »
Hi

Is anyone using Art's 3d laser scanning plugin still?. Last relevant posts seem to be 2 to 3 years ago.

I've looked at Davis Laserscanner but it doesn't play nicely with Mach3.

next engine is a bit beyond my budget. The other plugin written by Tom Hubin (R.I.P.) causes my setup to slow to a crawl.

So I'm casting about trying to find a cheap or free app that will allow me to create a usable cloud to 0.1mm accuracy for things like gun stocks, wooden bowls etc.

regards

John
Re: 3d laser scanning using art's plugin - still alive?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
I'm still interested as well. 

Offline Haik

•  71 71
  • MachUser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:42:49 AM »
I've been hinting for such too, but without much luck.  Triangles Flatbed3D Scanner is still in development, said to release soon but it could be a year.  Here's the info...
http://www.flatbed3d.com

at some point I may just invest in a laser distance such as the Riftek http://www.riftek.com/pages/lasereng.htm or Dimetix http://www.dimetix.com/index.html. This type of device interfaced/coordinated with X and Y of a CNC Router would give high resolution data for a point cloud and at high pass rates. Another positive is that there is no optical or perspective related distortion. A negative would be it is sort of a contact-less touch probe and won't capture in just one pass as a camera/laser-line would do.

-Haik

Offline jwt

•  4 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:44:12 AM »
That flatbed scanner looks interesting. I like the twin lasers operating at 45 degrees to either side of the camera to reduce occlusion. Anyone know where to get a license key for the developer version?

The Dimetix ones are quite poor resolution from what I can see although they are quoting distances of up to 65m so maybe as a percentage they are quite good and as a result at smaller distances more accurate? I suspect they are actually time based range finders and as such run into difficulties at smaller distances.

The riftek ones look interesting and at up to 9kHz sampling rate you could blast along a line at a reasonable clip. At a guess up to 900mm a sec at 0.1mm steps.  A scan of 500mm x 500mm area would take 5 minutes at 0.1mm steps. Trying to find a price, I keep seeing the word "competitive", but in the precision engineering world competitive prices can still have many zeros in the price tag :)

John

Offline Haik

•  71 71
  • MachUser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 12:01:34 AM »
Dan Mauch at Camtronics is the guy to contact, he may be able to provide you with a temporary license for the Flatbed software.

email: dmauch@seanet.com

Offline jwt

•  4 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:51 AM »
I've sent him an email.

perusing this thread that look promising too, http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=280

Offline jwt

•  4 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
Dan replied with a license key, I've installed the software but havent had time to configure it, figure out how it talks to hardware or generally mess about with it.

I'll post up my progress or lack thereof ;-)

John
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
I'm still interested as well. 

The same here..
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »
The riftek ones look interesting and at up to 9kHz sampling rate you could blast along a line at a reasonable clip.
Trying to find a price, I keep seeing the word "competitive", but in the precision engineering world competitive prices can still have many zeros in the price tag :)
RF605 series is about 600 euro. I've seen a commercial implementation which scans at 3.75 m/min at 0.1 mm resolution.
However I don't expect such performance on Mach3 platform due to software limitations (specifically, the 10 Hz DRO update rate) - unless any workaround exists.