Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:06:57 PM

Author Topic: Mach ? to control Starturn 5  (Read 15105 times)

Mach ? to control Starturn 5
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:01:18 PM »
Is it anyway possible to control the 8 way toolpost with Mach 4 on a Denford Starturn 5 Lathe or do you still have to stop the lathe and do it yourself as mentioned in the manual?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Mach ? to control Starturn 5
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:08:28 PM »
Max, where you been? Haven't you heard? All things are possible...................with Mach. ;D No really, I'm not familiar with this machine. Could you post some pics. on the show and tell? I'm sure some of the guys already know but I like to figure stuff out. How is it operated manually? Is it push a button and hydraulics actually do the changing or what?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 12:10:52 PM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 01:47:42 PM »
How do I post images?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 02:02:29 PM »
Click on reply at the top of this post. On the reply page, lower left corner, click on additional options. Browse to your image. JPEG files no wider than 600 pixels. You can post up to four by clicking more attachments.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »
Hi Chaoticone,
Thanks for that. Here are some pictures and circuits. The actuating motor is 24V and there are three IR sensors outputting grey code 0-7 for the tool positions. I guess I need a PLC or similar to interface.

The spindle motor is 150V max 4A. Suitable driver KWBWS-15.
Stepper motors are 2,5A 4 wire

By the way, I have just purchased this machine and have not had it working because there is very little information available from the manufacturer, but they are eager to help. I am working out my options. Original control or Mach 4.

regards,

Max

Hood

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 03:39:44 PM »
About to do a 6 station rear turret and 4 station front  toolpost on my Computurn lathe with a PLC, I know nothing about programming  PLCs yet but lots of nice people here to help idiots like me out.
 I think Brian is about to do a plugin for toolchangers which should be very handy, not sure when this will happen as I dont know how Brian and Art find the time to do all they do already.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 04:45:08 PM »
Your welcome Max,
     I don't see where you will have any trouble getting Mach to do what you want. I just breezed over the pics. Mach is so versatile it's not even funny. It will most likely be a learning curve for you but not so sharp you won't get straightened out. If you get a little sideways, lots of people here to help get you straight. I do not understand all of the particulars of the Modbuss or PLCs in conjunction with Mach but I do understand you can have more IO than you can shake a stick at. One simple way to get 56 more inputs is with an IPac keystroke emulator. A lot of bang for the buck. http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html Mach will work with all sorts of hardware. From cheaper (in price, not quality) hobby type hardware to PLCs and such. You just have to figure out which way you are going to go and head that way. I would choose Mach any day of the week.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 06:05:02 PM »
Max, I forgot to mention, Mach 4 has been replaced by Mach 3 and the g100 plugin.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 09:25:28 PM »
I think you would need at least 1 input and 1 output from Mach3 to control a tool changer. If you were to design your tool changer around a PLC then that would be the minimun. The output would tell the Tool changer(PLC) to change tools, and the plc would communicate back saying I'm done changing tools by turning on the input saying "OK to continue running the program".

The PLC then would have the required amount of I/O for the tool changer for relays, solenoids, encoders, etc. The only problem that way is Mach would not know what tool is in position it would only know that the plc says that everything is alright with the tool change process. So for that system to work, i think you would have to load your tools in sequence. like drill chuck, roughing mill, finishing mill, you get the idea. And mach would increment the tool change one position at a time.

Its easy to get the Tool changer/PLC  to identify what tool is in each location the hard part is getting that information back into Mach with the limited amount of I/O available.

I a very capable plc programmer. AB, Mitsubishi, keyence, Automation direct. so if someone need help i can easly write the program providing they have the correct software or use a AB, Mitsubishi, Keyence or Automation direct PLC.

JOHN

Hood

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 02:32:41 AM »
From what I understand (which is not much ;) ) Mach can talk with a PLC over modbus and so should see if the tool position is correct, maybe I misunderstood though.
Hood